What is this part called ??

furby714

Is the device in question mounted on the cowl?  The voltage regulator is usually on the inner left fender.  This device looks like my NOS headlight relay, which I mounted on the cowl, but a bit higher. Two wires from the dimmer switch under the floor, some power wires, and a high beam and low beam wire.  

You have listed a 49 Plymouth as a project car, and don't know what a voltage regulator is. Nothing wrong with that, we all didn't know at one point. BUT, if you will be working on this car, you will most certainly need a shop manual and a Motors Repair Manual, both which need to be year specific for your car. They can be found on EBay. This site has many knowledgeable people willing to help you. Welcome and good luck.

Thanks for all the good replies.

U are.right mike. I will need. A couple books to get more knowledge on my ride my car is. Running bad when idling it sounds like its reving and after on for a while it. Turns off 

12 hours ago, greg g said:

Sounds like you timing is set for too much initial advance, or you have carbon deposits that act like glow plugs after you turn tyer ignition off.

2 minutes ago, furby714 said:

Carbon deposits ???

not saying you should not ask here but in reality you got all you need for a quick online search for those things you may not understand...be a bit proactive...takes less time for an answer..