Heater Restoration

Tonight I finished restoring a Mopar Deluxe Model 36 Heater. The paint color is a bit different from the factory beige, but it works better with the interior of my truck. After pressurizing and testing the heater core and motor, the case was painted a Hammertone Dark Silver. The band was seriously lacking in the nickel/chrome finish that came from the factory but there was plenty of brass to brighten up and clear coat.

20171102_193312.jpg

20171102_193333.jpg

• Like 1

What should I be looking for as far as a heater switch, heat control and defrost control? Pictures would be nice as well as any offers if you have some you would part with.

anyone ever seen a behind the grill fresh air intake flange 1953 or so Dodge/Mopar ? Charlie Stephenson

Here are a couple of photos of the set up. It takes a lot of patience, but all the piece parts came from e-bay. Quite a bit of sanding later, I'm itching to get it installed along with the Model 65 TruckMaster heater that I restored. I was fortunate in that the heater I found on eBay included the controls/pod shown and the defrost vents/hoses (not shown). I also found the 4" clamp for the fresh air hose there. Fortunately, these are made of steel so they clean up and paint nicely.

- Bob

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Oh, and I did have to replace the screen on the inlet. Got a small roll of 1/4" mesh wire from Tractor Supply Company. When painted black it matches the remaining original screen quite well.

Your  heater resto came out looking VERY nice. I really like the hammered finish. 

Would like to hear more about what you did to restore the band around the casing. My original is pretty worn and beaten.

Thanks -

.       - Bob

I removed the paint that was on the band and I could see that the chrome or nickel has been badly worn in most places. The brass was underneath the paint but had tarnished badly. After stripping the paint, I removed the dents and twists. I buffed it with a red scotchbrite, then green scotchbrite. One end had broken off at some point over the years so I reattached it with solder. I then polished it with a cotton buff wheel and the white buffing compound to a bright brass finish. I then cleaned it with acetone, let dry and applied clear coat to preserve the bright brass finish from tarnish.

Edited by johnsartain

Just checked ebay. Searched on "52  dodge truck fresh air" and got a couple of hits: 2 of the intake flanges and two air flow control valves. Also some offers for the hoses - defrost and fresh air ...    The prices vary quite a bit the two flanges are a factor of 4 apart.