Heater Restoration

Tonight I finished restoring a Mopar Deluxe Model 36 Heater. The paint color is a bit different from the factory beige, but it works better with the interior of my truck. After pressurizing and testing the heater core and motor, the case was painted a Hammertone Dark Silver. The band was seriously lacking in the nickel/chrome finish that came from the factory but there was plenty of brass to brighten up and clear coat.

20171102_193312.jpg

20171102_193321.jpg

• Like 2

I have seen a lot of posts about heaters here and on the H.A.M.B and it seems as though there aren't any sources for a 6 Volt heater motor, only the 12 volt one. Maybe a good excuse to do the 12 volt conversion but there is another option if you have access to an electric motor repair business . That would be to have the motor R & R'd. I have seen some that had ball bearings and those that had bronze bearings. Oil may help. Either can be replaced, just need measurements and the mechanical ability to Disassemble and reassemble correctly. Those old motors were made to be repaired.

57 minutes ago, johnsartain said:

I have seen a lot of posts about heaters here and on the H.A.M.B and it seems as though there aren't any sources for a 6 Volt heater motor, only the 12 volt one. Maybe a good excuse to do the 12 volt conversion but there is another option if you have access to an electric motor repair business . That would be to have the motor R & R'd. I have seen some that had ball bearings and those that had bronze bearings. Oil may help. Either can be replaced, just need measurements and the mechanical ability to Disassemble and reassemble correctly. Those old motors were made to be repaired.

I believe Macs ford parts has a new 6v one. I've not ordered it but it looks like it would work.