1950 Chrysler Windsor turn signal wiring???

Windsor50

Wiring turn signals is a logic puzzle which equals that of Rubic's cube.  If that switch is for a 50  it will have six wires.

Left front, Right Front, Left Rear Stop/signal, RR stop/signal  , stop light power in, and flasher power in.  By setting the switch  in the neutral position you can determine the  LR, and RR and brake light power  in, as they will be common.  Pulling the switch to the left signal position will cut off power to the LR, but the RR will stay lit.  Putting it in the right signal position will cut power to the RR.  That is how the  switch separates the flashing circuit from the brake light power.  The flashing  power in can then be linked with the LF and LR when the switch is in the left signal position. Similarly for the RF and RR.  

No it does not make any sense to me when I read it through but I have done it many times so it is possible. Even without colour coding but the coding looks good on your unit so a shop manual will help.

That's pretty much the method I used to figure out the wires on the used Signal Stat switch i put in my truck. Sounds confusing if you don't understand the function of the switch, or basic electricity, but it works very well. Just have to keep some notes as you go so you don't end up confusing yourself.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2017 at 8:27 PM, dpollo said:

Wiring turn signals is a logic puzzle which equals that of Rubic's cube.  If that switch is for a 50  it will have six wires.

Left front, Right Front, Left Rear Stop/signal, RR stop/signal  , stop light power in, and flasher power in.  By setting the switch  in the neutral position you can determine the  LR, and RR and brake light power  in, as they will be common.  Pulling the switch to the left signal position will cut off power to the LR, but the RR will stay lit.  Putting it in the right signal position will cut power to the RR.  That is how the  switch separates the flashing circuit from the brake light power.  The flashing  power in can then be linked with the LF and LR when the switch is in the left signal position. Similarly for the RF and RR.  

No it does not make any sense to me when I read it through but I have done it many times so it is possible. Even without colour coding but the coding looks good on your unit so a shop manual will help.

Thank you, I really appreciate it. I just bought a supplication book from Canada that really helped as well.