OPINIONS: Sound barriers (Dynamat)

windsor48

I'm in the process of completely removing the interior for restoration in my 48 Windsor. Now would be the time to install sound damping but I'm on the fence. It would be purely for road noise as the Windsor is completely original (meaning 6 volt system and AM radio only)

Is it worth it?!?! Does anyone have experience using Dynamat or similar product and what results did you experience in noise reduction in these classics.

Thanks for your opinions.

I have just, like last week finished installing an Oz brand called Resomat, a 2mm thick self adhesive backed material which I understand to be basically the same as Dynamat but much cheaper here in Oz, I'm waiting to hear from the upholsterer as to when he wants the car to do the carpet..............I'll let you know what the results are like............because my car is not stock, ie bucket seats, mopar console, different steering column etc it was a PITA to install around the various mounts etc but its finally done after 40yrs................lol.........I'm a slow learner.........lol................andyd    

Quiet Ride also has good products. Their tech help started that sound deadening occurs when the metal cannot resonat therefore total coverage on floors and in doors etc is not required. The thickness of the product is secondary but the adhesive is primary, it must stick tight. I under coated all replacement floor pieces then will put Seal and Peal on the top in my suburban. 

Im starting to do a little more each day, slow going with a tender leg. It's amazing how much the legs are involved in nearly every thing one does. 

I used  Dynamat in my coupe. Easy to work with, cut and stuck down really well. I'm happy with it and sure quieted things down although I don't have many road miles on it since the install. I found a good price on  ebay and bought a box.  I used it on the floor and firewall. I'm still looking for a review on using it or another product for the roof area which catches the heat from the summer sun. I've seen some other product reviews where the black goo between the reflective sheets seeps and runs when it gets really hot. Don't need that dripping on my old bald head.

My upholster turned me onto a product call RoadKill, it is very similar to Dynamat but mush cheaper. RoadKill is sold on ebay. Current ad on ebay lists RoadKill for $112. 45 a box of 9 sheets ,18"x 32", 36 sq ft... Free shipping.

I covered every piece of bare metal in my 39 Plym conv. cpe, including the doors and trunk/rumble seat area. The doors on my car sound like a frig door closing..

One trick I found was to buy a very good roller to install the mat. A good one will have a plastic roller with a hard wood handle and a threaded shaft connecting the two together. I first tried a wallpaper seam roller, Wrong!, Next bought a better one that came apart very quickly.

I used a 1/2" thick foil faced, with a stiff foam core on the inside of my firewall. Glued it inplace with contact cement.. Wm.

Edited by blucarsdn
added info

I just purchased a product called Noico. $130ish for 100 sqft. Should be enough to cover all four doors, floor and trunk. Noico got great reviews for the money. I'm also going to add an additional sound barrier mat on the floor underneath the carpet. 

Im probably a month or two out from completing the Upholstery and reinstalling all the components, but will report back with how the doors feel once it's installed on the panels. Will give a full update once the job is done and I road test for noise.

thanks again!!

having seen this stuff used, seem similar approach from factory, seen what a small crack or void will do as in letting water in including the condensation and sweating action of heat and cool cycles...I do not ever recommend a substrate that will be totally sealed to the surface.  It is generally greatly accepted and practiced to seal the seams and such with a sealer but I respectfully disagree with this form of barrier.  I do agree with breathable padding like the jute but then again it also will absorb moisture but sweat is usually not an issue, only direct contact with a source of water be it washing rain with glass down or other such voids in the body that will allow water to enter.  Many cars sealed with a total covering will in time crack with age and the rot will be such that you do not even know it is happening till your foot (maybe your butt), goes through the floor pan...

I put in sound dampening and insulation but cut and placed as a lay in and able to remove easily should I need to inspect clean and such of the pan.

• Like 1