temp. gauge repaired

Frank's 49

Thought I would post a heads up for anyone with a none operational temperature gauge.  I just fixed mine using the repair procedure outline by Tod Fitch, on the site ply33.com, which is site based on Early Plymouths.  The repair procedure will work for probably most mechanical temperature gauges.  On mine the old tube had been twisted off (most likely in a vain attempt to remove it from the head.  Before my time.).  I purchased a new gauge, for less than $20 at Advance Auto, and used the capillary tube and bulb as outlined it the repair.  The only other item needed was a 1 inch piece of 1/8 inch tubing.  The whole job took about an hour, and the hardest part was standing on my head to get the gauge out of the dash! 

If you to fix a gauge, the process is found at the web site under repairs.  Probably some other places also, but Tod give a very clear explanation.   

One other idea which might be interesting was the use of a cooling spray to chill the sensing bulb.  Electronics people use that stuff for trouble shooting.  It is basically liquid nitrogen in a can. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B1B Keven said:

Maybe I ought to update the photos on the very similar procedure I've used. My write up has not changed substantially since October 2004. Here is a version of it from 13 years ago before I changed the way the navigation works on my site: https://web.archive.org/web/20041015175048/http://www.ply33.com:80/Repair/tempgauge

• 7 months later...

Is your jb weld repair still holding up??  Thinking of doing this now that I have replaced my fuel gauge sensor so the temp gauge is the only none op in the panel.  It is stuck at about 160.  Will it correct itself when fitted with a new bulb and line, r will it need tweaking?

Edited by greg g

2 hours ago, greg g said:

Is your jb weld repair still holding up??  Thinking of doing this now that I have replaced my fuel gauge sensor so the temp gauge is the only none op in the panel.  It is stuck at about 160.  Will it correct itself when fitted with a new bulb and line, r will it need tweaking?

It will need to be adjusted.