Unique intake manifold, to me

pflaming

Last night I noted a couple of differences in this manifold. 1) what is the purpose of the nipple in the side of the center, 2) that center appears to be larger and higher than other manifolds I have. Your response is requested.

IMG_1651.JPG

The intake is home made??  When hoods were high the intakes had that tall casting under the carb.  As hoods got lower, so did that casting.  My 56 intake is nearly flush with the horizontal portion, and in54 they switched to a shorter carb also.  The other deal looks like a tap for a vacuum gauge or some other vacuum accessory.

2 minutes ago, greg g said:

The intake is home made??  When hoods were high the intakes had that tall casting under the carb.  As hoods got lower, so did that casting.  My 56 intake is nearly flush with the horizontal portion, and in54 they switched to a shorter carb also.  The other deal looks like a tap for a vacuum gauge or some other vacuum accessory.

Look at the amateur weld on the front dump. This was common in its day.

There were two manifolds that I have seen, I have one of each. The taller one was supposed to help balance and even out the fuel air charge going to the cylinders that were farther out thus increasing power. Did it work? I have been told it did, but I have no experience myself. I would have used my tall one had it not been cracked. The vacuum port is anyone's guess but i don;t remember seeing the port on the back runner of the intake on mine. That's where the vacuum windshield washer connected.  I'm sure that the extra dump was an attempt to increase exhaust breathability.  So I hear that  adding a dual manifold, header, or adding an extra dump helped to increase torque. That one is ridiculous old school.