New Tachometer

moose

Wiring these new tachs is super easy. They all seem to have gone to 4 wire color-coded scheme as follows : Red - Tach Power, White - Light Power, Green - Tach Signal, Black - Ground. The red wire should be hooked up to a switched vehicle power source (ignition). The second (white) power lead should be hooked into the dash lights so the tachometer light is only on while the lights are on. The black wire goes to any good ground. The green wire goes to the same side of the coil as the wire to the distributor. With most HEI setups, this is pretty obvious, but I've never seen instructions for one of these tachs that didn't explicitly indicate where it hooks up for most popular units

Hooking up the light to it's own switched power can be kind of a pain at times, so most guys just tie the two power leads together, so the lights on whenever the ignition is on. It works fine that way.

Edited by Tubman

On 11/14/2017 at 8:36 AM, Beto0311 said:

Heres a dumb question gentleman.... has anyone found or drawn a schematic diagram of how to wire up these tachs? Specially on a mini HEI.... any direct links to the repops? Or to the guys that want to get rid of them ? 

thanks for your time and knowledge 

When I got my Chrysler Marine electronic tach I just plugged the sensor line into the tach connection on my Langdon HEI and it worked perfectly.  Sometimes you just luck out in spite of the challenges.

Marty

On November 14, 2017 at 11:41 AM, Thomba48 said:

Another question - has anyone found a modern tach made out of metal? The ones I was able to find so far are all extremely plastic looking.

The mooneyes tach I used is a metal tach. It's small enough to mount on the dash or column and not look overpowering

image.jpg

• 6 months later...

I just ran across this thread again and to put a cap on things, my partner and I have finished this project. We have three ways to install a tachometer on 6 volt positive ground vehicles. Here is a pdfdescribing what we have available.

I am posting this now as I have one of our original production run type 1 driver box left to sell and would like to gauge any potential demand to see if we should gear up for another run.

Tachometer project status.pdf

Edited by Tubman