New Tachometer

moose

IMG_20171030_134933.jpg.ca0eb57c91648094ed4ef53564ff6272.jpgGot the chance and put this in my 54 yesterday.  I'm having trouble putting the video on here, but if you go find me on Instagram(@manifoldsbymoose) you can see it in action.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, greg g said:

New,repop or vintage? Sending unit or direct wire?

Old SW.  Cable drive.  This is the one that I ran in my A sedan for a few years, but I knew to keep it when I sold that car.

I used a new Oz made tacho by a company called Speco and especially liked the nice chromed housing, from memory it was about 2&1/2" diameter........Varoom!!................lol...........andyd

IMG_1359.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z3hFeUyVrVmAXC7D2

Here is my vintage tach I had modified for the car $$$$$

6 volt positive ground, with electronic internals now instead of the transmitter box with a battery.

• Like 1

I used the new mooneyes tach which is 12 volt neg grd and then used the conversion box that allowed me to use my 6 volt posi grd sure on my car. Works like a champ. 

image.jpg

When I tune up my car I use a 1970’s vintage Sears dwell/tach meter that works fine despite being labeled “for 12V negative ground only”.  I wonder if some of the modern techs would work on our 6V positive ground systems in spite of what they are labeled.

I used an conversion box from Denny odoms that worked perfect . Don't think a 12 volt neg grd will work I talked to autometer who makes the mooneyes tach

I like the look and I wanted to understand the rpm drop when I operated the overdrive. You can do without a oil pressure and temp gauge also and use idiot lights

23 hours ago, JOHN EDGE said:

I used an conversion box from Denny odoms that worked perfect . Don't think a 12 volt neg grd will work I talked to autometer who makes the mooneyes tach

Do you happen to have a link to this denny odoms?

I like a tach for highway running, not for when to shift. I barely look at it in traffic. Mine was an eBay purchase, with the sending unit. 

http://www.williamsons.com/. These guys were great to deal with in converting it to electronic internals with no sending unit...6 volt positive ground.

On 10/31/2017 at 1:35 PM, moose said:

IMG_20171030_134933.jpg.ca0eb57c91648094ed4ef53564ff6272.jpgGot the chance and put this in my 54 yesterday.  I'm having trouble putting the video on here, but if you go find me on Instagram(@manifoldsbymoose) you can see it in action.

That looks fantastic Moose!  Love it...

Tachs are great tools to have.  I shift my later slant six on steroids by ear, but I don't have worries of over revving that beast.  Our flatheads aren't like that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, classiccarjack said:

That looks fantastic Moose!  Love it...

Tachs are great tools to have.  I shift my later slant six on steroids by ear, but I don't have worries of over revving that beast.  Our flatheads aren't like that.

Thanks!  I also have been shifting this car by ear for the past 28 years.  It's just finally good to see what I've known for quite a while, this particular engine(with all it's mods) revs fast and high.  

"Thomba48" - I have two conversion boxes left from my latest batch. You can contact me at "dennyodoms@gmail.com"

To all you others that want to run the "Classic Tachometers (Sun, Stewart Warner, etc) that need controller boxes that are missing or in- operable, I have just finished an updated unit that will run these older "meter type" tachs on 6 volts, positive ground as well. This has been done before (as noted above), but for "$$$$$". My unit is projected to sell for less than $200. The price of the regular driver for "motor" tachs is still $120. Here is a link to a video of it running an a Merc flathead on my engine stand : 

IMG_0978.JPG

Edited by Tubman
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2017 at 4:03 AM, moose said:

Thanks!  I also have been shifting this car by ear for the past 28 years.  It's just finally good to see what I've known for quite a while, this particular engine(with all it's mods) revs fast and high.  

Hi Moose, What was your "by the ear" redline before you shifted at?  

Some day I will get around to putting tachometers in all my vehicles.  I actually have the tachometers, just never seem to get around to installing them....  LOL

Heres a dumb question gentleman.... has anyone found or drawn a schematic diagram of how to wire up these tachs? Specially on a mini HEI.... any direct links to the repops? Or to the guys that want to get rid of them ? 

thanks for your time and knowledge