Kodiak goat hunt

casper50

A few photos from my Kodiak goat hunt.  Notice that the goat is tied to the rock above and the trekking poles are holding the rear up. It was steep.  This was by far the most exhaustive activity that I've ever done.  After 3 days I was physically ill.  Should have done it 10 years ago.  The meat is the best wild game that I've ever eaten.

IMG_4714.JPG

IMG_4708.jpg

IMG_4691.JPG

• Like 2

Nice.  Congrats on a successful hunt.  Good thing the bear that left that track wasn't still around :o  Best North American "big game" meat I've had has been pronghorn antelope (New Mexico), but I've never had mountain goat.  I'm wondering if the sheep/goat relation has something to do with it?  I took a shine to "cabrito" (small/young goat) when we moved to the Rio Grande Valley of Texas when I was a kid (sorry, no pun intended...well, maybe), antelope seems the closest to that.  Given that, it's probably odd that I don't like lamb at all.  Since moving to Maine I've discovered that I rather like eastern ruffed grouse (partridge - or pahtridge around these parts) on the game bird front.  

Our son and his family live in the woods north of bath Maine. Some years ago he was about to leave the back door and found a moose between him and his car. He told me, that Moose was one large animal and I decided my immediate plans could wait! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, casper50 said:

There was one in Anchorage that tore up a Prius last week by rubbing his antlers all up and down the sides.

Just another example of Toyota's efforts to be environmentally friendly!

• Haha 1

Last fall we had a newly arrived agent become the brunt of a few jokes because he did what we caution all new employees here against...don't honk at the moose. He was driving down a logging road to check a sensor, Mr. Moose sashayed onto the road, and as they tend to do, stopped with no real intention of moving.  The agent decided to honk at the moose, as he wrote in his memorandum to me explaining the damaged vehicle.  "It did not have the intended effect."  The moose charged the truck and pounded in the hood, to the tune of $1,000 in damage...  

• Thanks 1