Shim behind the oil relief spring - oil mods?

Bryan

I've read so many posts on oiling I'm about blind.  Decided I'm not going to a full flow system, or closing squirt holes, or enlarging the channel in the lower bearings.  Thinking of placing a 1/4" shim or thinner washer behind the bypass relief spring to increase the oil pressure, and maybe having the crank cross drilled.  After a future overhaul planning to use 10-30W normal oil for break in and then switching to synthetic oil with 5K change intervals. Comments?

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

I've read so many posts on oiling I'm about blind.  Decided I'm not going to a full flow system, or closing squirt holes, or enlarging the channel in the lower bearings.  Thinking of placing a 1/4" shim or thinner washer behind the bypass relief spring to increase the oil pressure, and maybe having the crank cross drilled.  After a future overhaul planning to use 10-30W normal oil for break in and then switching to synthetic oil with 5K change intervals. Comments?

Why? What oil pressure do you have? What do you expect to gain by increasing the oil pressure?

Current condition is not running because of a knocking low end bearing.  That's why I kept it parked for the last few years while I was out of country.  Never raced it and not planning to. Just thought instead of making wild mods I would increase the oil pressure slightly when I get it overhauled. 

Dave Pollock ->

"It is also prudent to install a new rotor type pump. Putting a 1/4" spacer behind the relief valve spring gives an additional boost in oil pressure.

With these modifications, the oil pressure gauge will show about 40 lb at idle and between 60 and 70 lb at 30 mph. If your block has a full-flow filter as later Chrysler and DeSoto blocks (to 1954) do, great! If it has the bypass type, make sure it is correctly hooked up. The drain goes from the bottom of the canister through the pressure relief valve (hole faces straight up). Be satisfied that it is not reducing pressure."

Edited by Bryan

So I reckon nobody would do anything like this either. :P  Had a fleeting fancy about  a pre-oiler that one could flip on before starting the engine.  When one gets bored after doing everything else and has money oozing out his ears...  look about 3/4 down the site.  https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm