Heater questions

Mortimer452

Cold weather is coming, and I'd hate to leave my P15 sitting in the garage all winter.  Gotta get some heat!  I'm sure I can get this working, just looking for some info on what I have here.

Here's what I've got, black box under the passenger side containing heater core and a fan.  I think this is the factory passenger-side heater but may be vintage aftermarket, not totally sure.  It has a door on the front to direct air out, and a door on the side to direct air left, has some sortof ductwork cobbled up to that one.  When I put 6V to that wire hanging out of the core/fan box it definitely works and moves a ton of air.

The switch has got me confused, see pics.  Not sure what this coil contraption is on the back, may be a fuse is supposed to go there and it was jury-rigged.  It gets hot as hell when I hook up voltage.  The switch has four click-positions presumably for low/medium/high/off but when wired up the fan only operates on the second click, all others are off.  It has a bulb in the middle but not sure what that could be for since the knob covers it.

What about defrost?  I appear to be missing some parts here.  There are slots in the molding underneath the window, but nothing that looks even remotely like ductwork that would lead up to there.

DSC_0727.jpg.ca17078133eb6ba205ce5ac1de3ccc13.jpg

DSC_0726.jpg.7a516d1825507cd3c8d5367ce3d5c568.jpg

DSC_0725.jpg.e621e520a8078770aa53f01513482a84.jpg

DSC_0724.jpg.f3074339d8540fbdfebf2aa25e0c767f.jpg

that is the dropping resistor for running the fan at two speeds as I do not see a tab for a low med hi......as for defrost, you will have to find a method to divert air from the unit to the inlet tube that is the defroster built into the cowl of the vehicle...the knob will glow when the light is on saying the fan is running...you will need to connect the input to the common post to the other two based on switch position...use your ohm meter to ring out the switch internals.

Well that's just it, I don't have any cowl vent ductwork.  The cowl vent itself has a handle underneath the dash, push to open, but it's just a hole.  If it weren't for the screen over the cowl vent pop-up, I could reach through the cowl and shake hands with someone laying under the dash.

that is a cowl vent...it is not in any matter or fashion part of the heating or defrost parameter of your vehicle...you will find that you have two vents nozzles under the dash for the defrost, also that the very garnish molding is you external duct and has built in rubber blocks to direct the air...suggest you stand on your head and look beneath your dash to the inside upper cowl area or get a picture diagram from a parts breakdown book..I do not have the pics...sorry..