Fuel pump question

Jj1981

1 minute ago, Merle Coggins said:

Shim the pump???

Yeah, the mounting gasket (s), are also how you set the fuel pressure to the carb.

One gasket, or thin gaskets raises pressure, thicker lowers it.

Long forgotten method to ensure you don't overpressure the carb.

If memory serves the Carter pump delivers 5psi....just over the normal working pressure of the carb.......solves a lot of issues later on

Never heard of this either but it seems to make sense.  The force of a spring depends on how much it is stretched or compressed....so if a thicker gasket is used seems like the fuel pump  spring would be deformed less and result in less force and then less pressure.

1 hour ago, squirebill said:

Never heard of this either but it seems to make sense.  The force of a spring depends on how much it is stretched or compressed....so if a thicker gasket is used seems like the fuel pump  spring would be deformed less and result in less force and then less pressure.

Exactly, the shims (gaskets), alter the effective length of stroke on the pump arm. That in turn changes the pressure exerted by the diaphragm. 

It won't change a huge amount but a pound or two is easily achieved.

The same family of carter pumps were used on the flathead fords, in that set-up, the Ford carbs and the strombergs were only capable of 2.5 lbs fuel pressure, any more would push the needle off the seat and load the carb.

I've had to shim the Ford flatties .05+ to get the pressure to within the limits of the carb.

Rock auto has what looks to be a re manufactured or used Carter?   But there's an Airtex as well for ~$50. It lists two, one for the B2D thru engine 11039 and one after 11039... The shim adjustment is interesting, never heard of that, thanks for the info Mech.

Can anyone fill me in here. My engine is a T176-7672 its from  a 1 ton 1950... I think that was a B2-D and I think my engine is a 230.   But the engine number doesn't match up to the Airtex engine number ranges listed on Rock auto... Are they referring to the digits after the dash in which case my 7672 is before 11039...?

I ordered one yesterday based on this thinking...  Input welcome.

Thanks, J

image.png.31c4cdd1b329f5536f8151a26a8f992d.png

17 minutes ago, jmooner3 said:

Rock auto has what looks to be a re manufactured or used Carter?   But there's an Airtex as well for ~$50. It lists two, one for the B2D thru engine 11039 and one after 11039... The shim adjustment is interesting, never heard of that, thanks for the info Mech.

Can anyone fill me in here. My engine is a T176-7672 its from  a 1 ton 1950... I think that was a B2-D and I think my engine is a 230.   But the engine number doesn't match up to the Airtex engine number ranges listed on Rock auto... Are they referring to the digits after the dash in which case my 7672 is before 11039...?

I ordered one yesterday based on this thinking...  Input welcome.

Thanks, J

image.png.31c4cdd1b329f5536f8151a26a8f992d.png

If memory serves. ...again...

There's only two differences:  location of the bowl, one at 90deg from pump body, the other in line with pump body...

jmooner, you are correct. T176 is the engineer's model designation for your engine. 7672 is the serial number of your engine.

And if mechresto is correct, the orientation of the inlet can be changed to meet your needs. I got a straight one once and re-indexed it to match the old one. I then rebuilt the old one with a kit from Antique Auto Parts Cellar, and later needed it as the "new" one failed when the pin walked out. That seems to be a common thing with modern replacement fuel pumps. It too got a rebuild kit from the Parts Cellar and now resides under the seat "just in case". The rebuild kits have pins with retaining clips to eliminate this problem.

Edited by Merle Coggins

Thanks folks.

Looks like the one I have inbound is the offset model but I'll pull the Coggins trick and index it to straight and check pressure - shim to the  ~ 4.5 range as MechResto taught us... I like Merle's idea of planning ahead so I'll rebuild the one I have too.

Cheers,

Jayson