On 11/3/2017 at 7:10 PM, cavisco1 said:

The red paint on the longer spring looks very suspicious. I have seen these color coded springs in high volume oil pump kits for V8s.  I would say you don't have the proper spring and valve.

What appears red is just a trick of the lighting. That portion of the spring was in the Nut Cap, and a little discolored and darker. None of the above springs appear to have any coloration.

I just pulled the relief valve assembly out of 2 running engines and the valves both look like the VPW one you have and the springs are both 2" long. Try the 2" spring, but if still no good then try the shorter one. 

HOORAY!!

The oil pressure problem seems to be SOLVED.  The valve from VPW was indeed correct, but the correct spring appears to be the 2", as pointed out by some of you. Don't know why the VPW spring is 2 1/4" or why Bernbaum spring is 1 1/2". Don't care much anymore, now that I'm not destroying pressure gauges and spewing oil out of the filter.

Now back to the idle problem.   She seems to manage a fast idle with some choke on, so, as  Dodgeb4ya and others have said,  carb/vacuum/air leak trouble. So on to that!

THANKS ALL!   :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 53 Truck-O-Matic said:

HOORAY!!

The oil pressure problem seems to be SOLVED.  The valve from VPW was indeed correct, but the correct spring appears to be the 2", as pointed out by some of you. Don't know why the VPW spring is 2 1/4" or why Bernbaum spring is 1 1/2". Don't care much anymore, now that I'm not destroying pressure gauges and spewing oil out of the filter.

Now back to the idle problem.   She seems to manage a fast idle with some choke on, so, as  Dodgeb4ya and others have said,  carb/vacuum/air leak trouble. So on to that!

THANKS ALL!   :)

Completely off topic: did you make or purchase the copper tubing going to and from your oil filter? the PO of my truck did a half assed job with hydraulic hose I would love to change out.

Edited by BlueberryDodge

On 11/10/2017 at 6:22 PM, BlueberryDodge said:

: did you make or purchase the copper tubing going to and from your oil filter?

I purchased a roll of copper-nickel tubing and made the lines. Fuel lines too. Part of the secret is buying or renting a half decent flaring tool. The tubing is very flexible and relatively easy to work with. A few of the flares I did more than once to get them right. There are some good videos online about the process.

13 hours ago, 53 Truck-O-Matic said:

I purchased a roll of copper-nickel tubing and made the lines. Fuel lines too. Part of the secret is buying or renting a half decent flaring tool. The tubing is very flexible and relatively easy to work with. A few of the flares I did more than once to get them right. There are some good videos online about the process.

Thanks for the info. Time to go copper!

Regarding your idle issue, have a play with distributor advance/retard, often with electronic ignition in your distributor, you need to adjust it to get it right. 

Have you used a timing light to see where the spark is at?

For my '28 distributor there was no 'drop in' Pertronix kit, so I purchased one that was +gnd and lobe sensing (IIRC it was one for the 35 chev), pulled the module off the plate it was attached to and screwed it on to my breaker plate. It needed lots of adjustment of the advance to the original points setup.