T vs P

pflaming

I have two extra complete engines. One is  " P25 * 21519" which is a '54 Plymouth engine. The other is a "T142 * 48627" which is a late '40's 1/2 T truck engine. So then what if any difference is there between these two engines? The pic is the T142 * 48627" engine. 

IMG_1581.JPG

In better times, Plymouthy Adams would tell me, "The internet is your friend". So, went to the internet to answer my question. So my spare  P25  *. 21519 is a  230 cu in engine, interesting.  [Thanks Bob] ! So what to do with it. 

Model Designation: Six Cylinder
Plaza 6 - P25-1
Savoy 6 - P25-2
Belvedere 6 - P25-3

Wheel base: 114

Valve Location: In block

Bore and Stroke: 3.2500 x 4.625

Piston displacement, Cubic Inches: 230

If your P25 engine does not have the diamond prefix it is a factory 218 no matter how much you want it to be a 230....the 230 did not start until serial number....243001 only way it could be a 230 is if a PO swapped crank and rods.  Then only way to specify for certain is gage the stroke through the hole in #6

truck engines may have a cam difference, valves could be sodium filled and positive rotators...

as an added note applicable here and for any future thread, the internet is a very valuable resource and when used properly can truly enlighten.  But it is also a playground chocked full of stumbling blocks.  Take our own 1954 repair manual, it went to the publishers before the introduction of the 230 into the 54, the automatic, PB are not covered in the book and the list goes on.  The later model 54 is best serviced with the 55 model year manual as a supplement. 

Truck bell housings usually have castings to be mounted to the frame, cars to the cross member.  So your truck motor seems to be converted to car use by changing the bell. Is it the deep fluid drive or the shorter Plymouth dry clutch one?

Looks like it is about 9" deep/long so which housing is it, Plymouth? So, since I have a car cross member, it appears I could attach this housing and cross member to my trucks  engine, then make appropriate mounts on the truck's frame and have an overdrive, that interests me

image.jpg

Both input shafts are 9", good news. Today I opened up the shifter cover. In this OD when the two forks are in line then the selector arm can raise the shifter arm to select R & 1. The bottom forks are 2&3 and to that the shifter always returns. I hope the drawings are understandable. 

IMG_1630.JPG

IMG_1634.JPG

In this pic, the top fork is in forward position which is R or 1.  To the discerning eye, does all look good to go. Does an overhaul mean largely new seals and gaskets, maybe solenoid and / or governor? 

IMG_1631.JPG