I need parts washer thoughts?

John H.

Hey all,

First off, my shop is of all steel construction and is 50 x 30' in diameter with 12' walls and a 16' roof ridge. I am in the process of installing my heat source which is a new US Stove wood and coal burning furnace. Ventilation wise I have 2, 10 x 10' overhead doors. One door at each end of the shop. I also installed 8, 4 x 4' slider windows when it was built. Now comes my question. I would like to add a parts washer to my equipment list. I'd like your thoughts on solvent versus aqueous washers? I have used solvent parts washers where I worked and am familiar with them, but with a wood stove in play I am trying to get opinions on the water soluble cleaners so I don't have to worry about flash points. Should a solvent based washer be a problem if it is located at the opposite end of my shop from the heat source, I use it with doors and/or windows cracked, and I close it up after use. TP Tools has the sink type unit mounted on top of a 30 gallon drum which I hope is compatible with both types of cleaners? I have just spent the last couple of hours on the internet and have only succeeded in getting a headache. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks, John  

good question and always err on side of safety....I had a larger style parts cleaner in the day and I used solvent but I did not use it in the shop as like yours, it was heated with a wood burning stove.  The parts cleaner sat is another unheated storage style building as I did not use it but once in awhile.

Even if you use a solvent type of cleaner you have the option to use diesel fuel as the solvent. The flash point is quite low as compared to most solvents and it cleans quite well. I've used it in mine for some time with good results, maybe not as good as parts washer solvent but much less expensive. There is also low odor mineral spirits. 

It probably depends on what type of solvent you use. We have both solvent parts washers and water based units in our shops. Plenty of welding and open flames nearby both with no adverse effects. I even had the company that changes out the solvent in our tanks tell me that the solvent itself isn't flammable. It's the devolved oils in it from washing parts that makes it flammable. 

If you use mineral spirits as a solvent that may be a different case... 

You can use a non flammable chlorinated solvent such as trichlorethyene (TCE) or perchlorethylene (PERC) they work well. Not sure about the cost though. I am a retired chemical engineer, and we used these chemicals for industrial degreasing. These solvents are being phased out due to toxicity to rats and potentially to humans, so says the EPA. 

As little as we use, it should be safe. IMHO. 

3 minutes ago, Iowaboy said:

You can use a non flammable chlorinated solvent such as trichlorethyene (TCE) or perchlorethylene (PERC) they work well. Not sure about the cost though. I am a retired chemical engineer, and we used these chemicals for industrial degreasing. These solvents are being phased out due to toxicity to rats and potentially to humans, so says the EPA. 

As little as we use, it should be safe. IMHO. 

That's some good stuff there, basically brake cleaner, not sure of the price in bulk but a spray can (CRC Brakleen) is $3-4 a can.

We had a heated water based unit in our shop a few years back.  Used a detergent similar to DAWN dish detergent.  Worked great-no emisions, no fire hazard, no permitted waste required.    The unit was drained and replenished about every other month.   Can't remember who provided the service.   Worked as well as the Safety-Kleen unit that it replaced.