'48 D-24 Generator

bighammer48

Guys,

I need a little help. I was given a rebuilt generator from a 40's or 50's MOPAR by a guy cleaning out his garage. It bolted right on my '48 Dodge, but when I went to hook it up, I found that the terminals are different and unmarked. I can't tell which is the field and which is the armature. My original generator's terminal were front and back oriented at the top rear of the generator housing. These are at the top rear, but are oriented at 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock as viewed from the rear. Anyone know which is which?

Thanks.

what is the number of the generator that is on the plate that should be attached to the outside body.  This is important so we can identify the gen and to see what car or truck it was on.  I am assuming that the tag has red letter which at least indicates 6 volt. If a green tag then this is a 12volt unit.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

14 minutes ago, bighammer48 said:

It is for certain a 6 volt as there was a 6 volt tag wired to it. My problem is that the manufacturers nameplate is missing. It looks like an Autolite GGW 6001 generator.

THE AUTOLITE GGW-6001A WAS USED ON 1949 D29 DODGES AND 49 DODGE D30 , 1949 D31,D32 CANADIAN DODGES USED THE GGW-6001B

1950 DODGE D33,D34 USED GGW-6001A  1950 DODGE D34,D35,D36 CANADA GGW-6001K LATE PRODUCTION WITH NARROW GROOVE PULLY  THIS WAS TAKEN FROM MY AUTOLITE CATALOG.

RICH HARTUNG

DESOTO1939@AOL.COM

Were it mine, I would connect the ground side of a jump pack to the body of the generator.

Choose a terminal to connect the positive 6V.

If the generator is in working order it will spin when you connect to the armature.

When you determine which is the armature, and have it spinning well you can quickly move the + 6 v to the other terminal to test the field. Should be like applying the brakes if the field is good.

• Like 1

Guess what? I used a micrometer on the two terminals, because that's what I had always believed back to the esrly 960's when I first started messing with cars. Both studs are so close in size, the difference isn't worth mentioning. Thus, from all of the pictures and info I've been able to garner, I'm going to guess that it's the left one as viewed from the rear.

Thanks all.