Anyone 'yabadadoo' their truck?

kendall

I'm strongly considering replacing my floor hatches with bulletproof glass. I love the view aside from the occasional roadkill, and it would promote maintenance to a lot of lube points. I have not been institutionalized before and not currently medicated. Any thoughts?

IMG_4202.jpg

• Like 1

I'd opt for the lexan approach....for two reasons:

Impact resistance.

Initial investment and replacement costs.

I have 3/8" lexan in the windows and doors on my CNC mills....if it will stop an 8 pound tool flying out of the spindle at 20000 rpm.... should work for your floor.

My 2 cents....with adjustment for inflation ain't worth much!

• Like 1

Nice truck!  Keeping clear material clean would be your biggest issue.  Cleaning Lexan or polycarbonate can be tricky, fogging and scratches would happen. 

10 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

Nice truck!  Keeping clear material clean would be your biggest issue.  Cleaning Lexan or polycarbonate can be tricky, fogging and scratches would happen. 

Totally agree with Mark. Gorgeous truck

Very nice truck....I am not sure there would be much to see down there.....not like you would be looking while driving...easy access is a good reason, wonder if there is an easy way to put the original panel in without all the bolts......

I have checked sight-lines and believe there are unlimited possibilities with proper lighting and potential for gags galore. Just who I am. Besides, I have a rat that lives in my diningrm. that gets fed my spare truck parts and loves vintage plywood.

IMG_4255.jpg

Thank guys. Made template and decided on glass over plastic. I'm currently waiting for pricing on a two piece 1/2" tempered glass floor. The glass shop estimates between $250 and $300. The alternative floor I would construct myself out of teak planks, marine deck style so counting materials and sweat, the cost is about the same. Either glass or teak, I intend on truing the flange of the opening with 1/8" x 1" bar and suitable gasket. Even with floor mats installed, the transmission, brake and u-joints are still highly visible thru the glass.  GOTTA.....  ..  GO...  .. MEN..  ..  ..  .WHITE..  .. COATS.. ....   ..     

• 4 weeks later...

No, just cleaned the drivetrain from bell housing back and painted the transmission case in Hammerite. Even left the trans. top in place and taped everything off to paint red. probably easier to remove and paint tho. I'm tempted to get a red top Optima battery but the original battery tray doesn't accept a 9-3/8" battery case without cutting. My temporary floor/templates go to the glass shop for fab. tomorrow.

IMG_4884.jpg

This is one customization that I would love to see in person. Your picture taking skills are among the best, but to see it up close and personal would be a treat. Could you drive it out to Fort Collins when your done? Maybe create a show tour? 

Keep going, I'm loving it.

• 3 weeks later...

The modular floor surrounding hatch (the hole where Fred generates the power) and the seat base doesn't cover much area.The square notch is for the truck cab mounts and the round hole's for the seat belt. I may use magnets to stick to floor. Next pic is of the 3 glass panels in place. Last shot is of glueing/clamping of one of the floor panels in my kitchen. Always close by are the three toothed pug and Bosco the 'barely hanging on' Boston. The joy of bachelordom is your whole house is your shop.To make room in the garage for the truck, I've made room in my family room for my 3 motorbikes. I never realized how beautiful they are until brought inside.

IMG_5084.jpg

IMG_5088.jpg

IMG_5071.jpg