Heater Cowl Vent Project

Conn47D24

Recent purchase of a  cowl vent housing under resto .  My D24 came with the passenger heater only and several years ago I found a NOS driver side heater.

This should tie the two together nicely when I'm done.   Currently blasting and painting.  Found a rubber bellows in Hersey a few weeks ago.

Interesting 1940's TECH , The screen to filter out the bugs was lined with horse hair !  

20171016_150723.jpg

20171026_121842.jpg

20171026_121854.jpg

clay: if you have the dual heater then there would have been two metal pipes that will direct the water to the two heaters. There is a metal connector that screws into the bypass connection for the metal lines. Some have made the new lines from electricl conduit and used a flare fitting with the crushable fitting to make the connections.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Conn47D24 said:

Thanks Ed, I'll be looking for that seal.

Rich, I haven't figured out the plumbing yet . Good tips. I think I've seen photos here of copper piping that looked cool.

Somewhere years back is a thread from when I redid my dual heaters. My car didn't have the piping on it when I got it but I eventually found a setup in a junkyard off a Dodge. Original is steel but I did replace one piece of mine with copper and after I painted all the pipes to match no one has ever noticed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Conn47D24 said:

Ed, if you have any photos it sure would help.  No rush.  Thank you

check that out and let us know if you still have questions

• Thanks 1

Thank you Ed !  I see the split set up now.  pretty sure I've seen it done with metal piping that looked really cool.  I did find rubber weather stripping by the foot that I will try and make my own seals.  I'll post photos when done.  Clay

Update on heaters.  Opened up the Comfort Master 53. Original to my D24 Club Coupe.

Taking the core to my radiator shop for testing.   Here is what they look like.

Also, I brought the NOS Comfort Master 54 to the local auto paint store. They used a gadget to scan the paint and mixed me up

a spray can to match.  Will repaint the 53 and related under dash brackets etc. to match.

20171107_080600.jpg

20171107_080605.jpg

20171107_080615.jpg

Very nice work and color!

DJ

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pflaming said:

I have thought of dual heaters also, but I would use one for the defroster one for heat only.  These heaters put out a LOT of heat.

only to you CA guys. I drove my coupe with the dual heaters on full up to storage when it was maybe 20°. I wasn't cold but I never needed to turn them down either. 

I seldom use my 10" square heater and when I do I run it in on low fan. My reason for dual heaters is for my daughter in Indianapolis, who will get the truck. To have a heater and a defroster might be nice, although Indianapolis is not a super cold climate. 

• Like 1