Fan Belt Replacement on 1948 Windsor

windsor48

I'm super new to this and super embarrassed to ask such a seemingly dumb question but surprisingly the Shop Manual doesn't address this.

What is the trick to replacing the Fan/Generator Belt. I've removed the tension slide bolt off the generator and "rolled" it about 1-2" and that gave me a little relaxation in the belt but not enough to remove the belt. 

I see the mounting bolts of the generator... they are hard to reach and appear to need a 9/16th bolt held as the 1/2 bolt on the outside is turned.

Does the generator need to be removed to replace the belt??

I sincerely appreciate any tips removing and replacing the belt as I know this is a common item that a lot of you have replaced. 

Again, I apologize for being duped on such a routine item.

Thanks

Jerry

Someone probably installed the wrong belt or changed out the generator with a larger pulley.

Normally you never have to do anything but push the generator fully up against the block. Maybe remove the adjusting bolt?

First of all,there is no need to apologize for not knowing something. We all had to learn,and no one ever knows it all.

Secondly,you don't have to take the generator off,but a lot of times you do have to loosen the nuts at the front and back of the generator to get it to swing close enough to the block to take the belt off.

Just remember to re-tighten them after  installing and adjusting the tension on the new belt.

• Like 1

All good advice above,  but it is easiest, once the belt is loose to first  roll it off the fan pulley by turning the blades then the belt  will pretty  much come off in your hands.   Note:  you do not roll tight belts on or off as it may break internal cords.

This is the first job I ever did on a car ( a 35 Plymouth.... same belt.... at that time Goodyear 660 )   I was eight years old and persistent. The size of my hands made getting into tight places a lot easier.  Climbing up  on the fender  was also easier.

• Like 1