'48 B1B Glove Box spring connection points.

James-48-B1B-108

I have finally acquired a spring for the Glove Box in my 1948 Dodge B1B and pocket like installation point on the bottom of the door itself is the obvious connection point, but where does the other end of the spring attach. Would really appreciate some instruction on this. 

I heeded this answer too. is there a cutout in the bottom of the glove box for the spring to get under there? I wasn't sure that maybe it was trapped between the door hinge and that flange. Glad you cleared that up.

Here is one I made. I used a stainless spring steel blade from a cheap Ace Hardware paint shield and bent it to the correct shape.

20171008_094114.jpg

I got these dimensions from B1B Keven. I would have bought one had I found it and still will is the price is ok.

DSCN36230264.JPG.8ccd6fa5f6898ba24e7e18d50857cdbb.JPG

Edited by johnsartain
  • Thanks 1

its amazing what you learn on this forum.....about 5-6 yrs ago I discovered that my 1940 Dodge should have had a glove box door spring, this was only after owning the car since 1971......I am a slow learner.........have attached a pic of the spring steel brake line clamp that I modified by cutting off the "bump" for holding the brake line and I then drilled a hole in the clamp and inserted it between the dash edge and the door hinge.........dah, dah!!! ......a glove box door that springs open when you push the button........she who must be obeyed was very pleased........james........dunno if this helps you, but it sure helped me.......lol.........andyd 

P1000820 (800x600).jpg

P1000822 (800x600).jpg

If anyone can get some detailed pics, James and I would be appreciative. Mine was so rusted it literally crumbled. I could see how it attached on the door, but there was nothing left of the other end. Even the paper glove box was rotted.

Edited by johnsartain

6 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

I thought I had a picture of my spring installed but I can't find it now. Hopefully someone can get one to you. I remember my glove box attaching to the outside of the flange so that the spring could hook onto it. 

Here's mine.

1 glove box 1.jpg

• Thanks 1

What phenomenal support, thank you all, very much !  Now I'm itching to get to the barn and finish installing it.  I hope that after a learning period, I can provide such help to others in the community.

Reg, does the spring go through a cutout in the glove box, the fiberboard part?I can't tell from the photo. Sort of important since I am making the glove box.

• 2 years later...

Reg Evans,

I see you own a '52 1/2 ton pickup. I'm restoring a '56 C3-D6 fuel delivery truck. When I picked it up a couple of years ago, the glove box and spring were lying on the cab floor among all the mouse droppings (it had been parked for about 30 years). Is the picture you posted above your truck, please? It may help me figure out how my spring attaches.

Pictures of my project attached.

DSC_5947'1.jpg

DSC_5950'1.jpg

Edited by Paolocito50

Cool truck!

Very nice restoration work too?