Inexpensive Firewall Cover Repair 46-48 p15

3046moparcoupe

Wanted to share the path we went down in trying to save the original Pressboard type Inner Firewall Cover from our P15 project. Ours was looking pretty sad and had a few areas on the drivers side that were missing. What I found available as a direct fit replacement looked either cheap (stapled together) or one that looked pretty descent, (was at least a molded piece) but was close to $300.

I've got $50 in the following repair to our firewall cover and thought I'd like to share this here on the forum. I also applied the same method to my other cardboard/pressboard kick panels and heater side panel ducts with consistent results.

Loctite 2 part epoxy, 1/8th inch pressboard/chipboard material (I purchased a new 12" x 16" piece off ebay for $3 dollars  - delivered), 4 cans of Plasti-Dip flat black, and 1 can of Plasti-Dip Glossifier with Fade Buster (depending on where you get it, Lowes versus a smaller hdw. store like Ace, ea. can costs around $6-7 dollars).

I used masking tape on the areas that were frayed (like the edges of the openings of the cover), to make form walls to hold the Loctite 2 part epoxy in place while it cured. larger spots I took a very small amount of fiberglass matt, cut it up with scissors, and mixed it in with the epoxy for strength). I used the new 1/8 " chipboard to make new pieces to replace areas that were missing, and applied the same process we used in doing fiberglass repair. Which is as follows: there's much less strength in attaching two sections with a square 90 degree angle, you just don't get enough glued surface area contact to allow for strength, but overlap the two pieces and mate them together by shaping each piece with an overlapping taper (so one piece rests upon the other piece ) and you gain strength. The rule of thumb we used doing fiberglass repair was to make your tapered surface area where your going to glue things back together, equal to the new surface area you area attaching. Never had one fail that way.

I've attached some pics we took along the way, that show the firewall cover from the day we removed, then mid stream epoxy and chipboard repairs, and then this past week when they got Plasti-Dipped. 

Pretty straight forward easy. Like with all this kind of stuff,  being clean is critical. I used brake parts cleaner to clean areas before glueing, and also before applying the Plasti Dip. I like the brake parts cleaner as it leaves no residue and dries away quickly. (This was all a  "what have we got to lose kinda thing", but our bonds seem strong and we had no sings of contamination when applying epoxy or the Plasti Dip). The information is not found on the cans, but if you go read their tech sheet found on the internet, the plasti dip shows a temp range of -30f to 200 f, good chemical resistance (however petroleums are shown as limited), which I didn't think should be a big problem inside the car, and a life of 7-10 years (outside in the weather) with the UF coating applied.

I really liked the flat black of the Plasti Dip (before the uv top coat was added which also gives it the gloss) a little better than the gloss finish, and debated on whether the sun could get to the very bottom of the Cover enough to warrant using the UV top coat, but decided to go that route for a bit more assurance in regards to longevity.

Course once the epoxy repairs set up, you've got a bit of easy sanding to do...and before applying the Plasti Dip I went over the entire panels with a red scotch brite pad and brake parts cleaner..to promote adhesion.

Fun stuff..whether it's sanding a part and painting it, or something like this,...I really enjoy trying to make these old forgotten, neglected parts look like something again. :)

Steve'o

100_4616.JPG

100_5006.JPG

100_5008.JPG

100_5005.JPG

100_5030.JPG

100_5031.JPG

Edited by 3046moparcoupe
  • Like 4

Excellent!  Thank you for posting.  We'll be putting the ol' D24 up for the winter shortly, which is when I do the projects that would otherwise take it off the road.  Been wondering what to do with the firewall cover and this looks like something to try out. 

• Like 1

Same with me, ( course my car's been off the road for 3 yrs now), but this was one of those inside things I could do in the winter (except for the final sealing in the Plasti Dip)..

I sprayed both sides and all the edges..which really helped to encapsulate and seal the pieces. 

the nicer looking molded one is found in ebay under auction item # 331871739442, desc:1942 1948 Plymouth Firewall Pad, $293.27 + $40.55 shipping,...as far as the cheaper one,..It doesn't appear to still be listed on ebay, from memory it was around $90 including shipping, but it looked kinda homemade, folded cardboard and stapled together...but way better than nothing,...it was just like the firewall pad still shown in ebay under item #300868184879, desc:1949-1950 Plymouth deluxe firewall insulation pad.

Steve