Heating/AC for p15

Mac

Hi all, I am new here so bear with me please. I have a 48 Plymouth that I want to add AC to. I really don"t have the money for an after market unit so what i"m wondering is if anyone has taken an under dash heater/AC unit out of a Dakota or something and used it? I have a 5.2 I'm putting in it and I have the AC compressor with it. Mine is a 4 door sedan so I'm not sure a unit out of a small car would have enough capacity for it. I am very capable of doing the work, just trying to get some advice on choices that would work. Thanks everyone!!!

5 minutes ago, Mac said:

Hi all, I am new here so bear with me please. I have a 48 Plymouth that I want to add AC to. I really don"t have the money for an after market unit so what i"m wondering is if anyone has taken an under dash heater/AC unit out of a Dakota or something and used it? I have a 5.2 I'm putting in it and I have the AC compressor with it. Mine is a 4 door sedan so I'm not sure a unit out of a small car would have enough capacity for it. I am very capable of doing the work, just trying to get some advice on choices that would work. Thanks everyone!!!

Well,the underdash ac units worked in the big 50's 4drs,so why wouldn't one work in your 48?

Your problem may be trying to find one to buy.

21 minutes ago, 65 Dartman said:

I'm new to the forum as well but doing a lot of reading.  I will be using a slim line heater/defrost and AC unit from a place called Hot Rod Hardware in my 47

many goes this route but the active ingredient for this thread is DAKOTA donor AC and it's feasibility....I have used the full Dakota setup, 50/50 Dakota parts....most all things are possible with the right modification work in the background.  The aftermarket is by far the quicker way method and less invasive and less labor intensive...but where is the fun if there is no challenge?

What year Dakota was your unit from? I have a complete set up from a 04 Durango but it's too new and depends on the main computer to drive it so it's not feasible. I'm very capable in fabricating. And yeah, what would be the fun in something easy!!! I'm retired and got way more time than money lol!!!

I have wondered about the complexity of something similar for the B2B. the Compressor, dryer, and condenser from a donor vehicle would be the easy part. Fabrication of the interior ducting is likely to be the big issue. Fabricating a system where the air flow is mixable from heat in the winter to air in the summer, and all the variations in between could be tricky. 

19 hours ago, Mac said:

What year Dakota was your unit from? I have a complete set up from a 04 Durango but it's too new and depends on the main computer to drive it so it's not feasible. I'm very capable in fabricating. And yeah, what would be the fun in something easy!!! I'm retired and got way more time than money lol!!!

2004.....very doable..  

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

johnsartain, yes it is a lot of work but I’m putting a lot of work into the body as well. With repairing the floor boards and rebuilding the rockers all by hand it’s quite time consuming. I figure with the dash off at least you can get to everything. I also replaced the firewall and so it’s flat now instead of the original one with all the crazy angles to it. 

Plymouth Adams, thanks for the pictures. You must have the computer and everything out of the Dakota. My problem is I used a 99 Dodge 1500 van for my donor vehicle. It had a 5:2 jasper engine in it that only has bout 25,000 miles on it and the van only had 96,000 miles on it. All the controls for the heater/AC unit were vacuum controlled, so I’m pretty sure I’m gonna have to get maybe up to a 2001 unit with vacuum controls because of the computer. 

1 hour ago, Mac said:

Plymouth Adams, thanks for the pictures. You must have the computer and everything out of the Dakota. 

as stated, ALL  is all.....vacuum only drives the diaphragms for vent control.  The AC is otherwise electric.  Your 1999 5.2 with automatic will require the computer.  

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

7 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

2004.....I installed the complete and entire system into my 48 bz cpe ....stock wiper will prevent this install....the fresh air vent...well its doable but will admit for the work around I would not fight this issue on a second install.   All the factory lines fit like a glove, the stock condenser is in place but the control panel placement was a custom creation.  The condenser hard lines are stock but not shown but the lines go right though the rad support...this shows the non stock Dakota radiator, I chose the Griffin due to basic deisgn of the 04 stock unit...I used ALL of the 04 Dakota components, air bag, abs brakes, zero emissions fuel system, buckets console, seat belt/restraints, as stated, all with the exception of the Dakota radiator, wipers and air cleaner box...I had to build this snorkel as shown as there is no room for the air box and yes the inner fenders are in place on this car...slightly modified but again....very doable..  

100_1700.jpg

gallery_19_35_67856.jpg

100_1684.JPG

I like it! Did you use any of the Dakota firewall?

thanks you and yes to the firewall... you may view a few of those pictures under my profile and album name PLYKOTA...the Dakota is much wider than the Plymouth firewall...using it requires a lot of measurements getting the correct drop for melding the floor into and butt welded to the 48 was time involved....it is however very much worth it....

These are a few pics of my 48. Shows what I started with and how I cut the firewall out, and then with new firewall in and engine/transmission in place. I currently have the body separated from the frame and the body is on a rotisserie for repair work to floors and rocker panels. 

28FC85CD-227B-4C1F-816B-44B40172740C.jpeg

7C47F230-FA3D-4303-87DC-F87280BBEFE2.jpeg

232B7E70-70FE-4E6A-B775-D7FD092E51F9.jpeg

82C80285-426D-4736-B724-B3D0FFC9CBBC.jpeg

A7AAEBA4-EDEF-4260-BC0C-3CA7F462889E.jpeg

74C1E082-30CA-4998-BB4D-7C927E519B6F.jpeg

I have a friend who told me to come get his rotisserie as he is not using it and has nothing planned in the future..new never used...said he would lease it to me for 1.00 a year....capacity, 3000 lb....I have been slow to respond and told him that I would take him up on that when I get a bay clear so to have his rotisserie inside and out of the weather when in use.  I may well build one in the future and get familiar with his and see what running changes I may need for anything I build myself.  Good luck on the car, I was surprised to not see a bit of recessed firewall in the pic.  

• Like 1

On 10/23/2017 at 8:25 PM, knuckleharley said:

Well,the underdash ac units worked in the big 50's 4drs,so why wouldn't one work in your 48?

Your problem may be trying to find one to buy.

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/custom-street-rod-ac-units/underdash-ac-systems-c-1_32000000_38000000.html

Hi...to avoid the cost of hot rod aftermarket heat/ac kits...look on eBay for under dash heat/ac combo...they are brand new less than $100.

You must do the plumbing and mounting yourself but it is not difficult

l have one in my 55 Ford Wagon and it works great

Best of luck...love your 4 door...l am working on a 40 4 door...

5 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

Thanks,I didn't even consider new stuff. I am a lifetime junkyard guy. I have a underdash unit I pulled from a 57 DeSoto parts car I used to own to put in my P-15.

• Thanks 1