1946 P15 Hood Release Spring fitment

3046moparcoupe

I've attached some pics of the lower half hood lock that I removed from our P15 a few years back. 

I removed the part, cleaned it up and painted it, bagged and tagged the misc. parts,....and put it all away to wait for the day it could be bolted back up in place.

Attached the spring this evening and noticed that it rubs the lever arm at about dead center on the spring. (see attached pic #2 )..nothing looks bent and everything feels tight.......doesn't appear to me that it would prevent things from working, but did seem like it would have been real easy to eliminate this by building the forward attaching post about an 1/8 inch taller, ( heck maybe they wanted it to rub to keep it from rattling. )

Then started trying to determine if someone might have replaced with an incorrect spring.

My oem parts book shows the following: pg:95, Group Code 15-11-16, pp# 906 066, Desc: Spring Hood Locking Bolt (5 coil) ???  well it's definitely got a lot more than 5 coils,...couldn't find any pics on the internet to help identify what a 906 066 spring should look like, however did find an ebay seller with a supposedly NOS lower latch plate and spring (see attached pic #1), which looks pretty much like the spring I have. 

Trying to confirm if I have the correct spring on this hood lock assy. Probably hard to tell if your spring is a match, or rubs, etc.. just by eyeballing, if it's all bolted up on the car. Thought I'd post anyway and maybe get lucky if someone has an assy and/or spring laying around they might be able to look at for me, or if you possible have calipers that will allow you to reach down and measure the diameter, that would help.

I may also try messaging the ebay seller to see if he would measure the diameter of the spring he has to see if it's a match, however figure my chances of getting a response back, or accurate info....  are way better here on the forum..

All reply's welcome. We appreciate the help.

Steve

hood release spring.jpg

100_5028.JPG

100_5029.JPG

Edited by 3046moparcoupe

Don't know if this will help you or not, but it looks pretty similar to my stock '47 P15 installation. Bit of a challenge to get in there to take a picture. Boy, is it dirty under there! :eek:

20171023_105712.jpg

Edited by JohnTeee
Too many copies of pic!
  • Like 1

Thank You JohnTeee, for standing on your head to take this picture for me. My spring must be the real deal..looks just like yours, I count 39 coils on both,...I'll move on with this...

We sure appreciate your help, and thank you Tim as well, seeing your signature lets me know that you also don't see a problem or you'd let me/us know...

Steve'o