Installing new rubber boot on trunion driveshaft

Dick41

:(  Very sorry if my original post caused any of you the problem I just experienced.    I spent most of the afternoon learning that this wire pull method wouldn’t work for me.   The new rubber boot got stuck inside the trunnion housing.  I couldn’t get it in, or out, without tearing it out in little pieces..  That was the final result….little pieces and another rubber boot torn! :angry:  I give up!  I am going with the split leather one.  No pin to press out of the shaft, no rubber to stuff through the trunnion housing.  I have one of these leather boots on my 41 Plymouth and it is doing fine.  

So, after removing the grease from my hands, and the little rubber pieces from the garage floor, I spent more than 2 hours looking on line for split leather boots.  Bernbaum doesn't carry them any more.   I found a 2012 thread, leading to the source of leather boots, on the P15-24 forum.  Here FYI is that link:  http://p15-d24.com/topic/20381-plymouths-at-portlandjust-wondering/?tab=comments#comment-196498

The Source for split leather driveshaft boots is AMS Obsolete http://www.amsnos.com/  (They may have once been Mitchell’s Mo Par)? 

Phone:  706-337-4606 Fairmount, GA30139

See page 62 of their on-line catalog.   Part #: 870311   ( 7A6 Leather U-Joint Boot)  Price: $39.50 ea (+shipping) 

So I am now waiting on the leather boot.  Picture of same attached below:

Again, my sincerest apology to all:

boot.jpg.bc878d5bc3b8ecaefb239c9344f02694.jpgDick

Quite a while ago there were some posts on putting new rubber boots on trunion style driveshafts.   My appliction (this time) is a 1956 Dodge Coronet.   Without pressing out the trunion pin, that boot must be pushed (or pulled) through the trunion housing.   This is the second time that I have had this "Pleasure".   I contacted Andy Bernbaum and learned that the leather split replacement boot is no longer available.  So, I went with the rubber one.   After aout an hour of stretching, puling and resisting pokng with a screwdriver, I called it a day.

Here is the good part.  I found an excellent U Tube that shows how to do it.   The guy is not selling anything (neither am I).  But I was so impressed with his method that I wrote to Bernbaum just now 

About a 18 minute video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBtEgMJFis8

In real time, the guy has the boot installed in less than 15 minutes.  Some guys on this  P15-24 Mo Par Forum quote as much as 8 hours.  I can believe that 8 hours estimate until I saw this video.   Here is a summary of his method, though watching the entire video was most hepful.

1.   Make two U shaped wire loops  (each leg is about 10 inches long)

2.   Hook the loops over the boot

3.LIGHTLY LUBE THE BOOT INSIDE AND OUT

LUBE THE SHAFT AND INSIDE THE TRUNION HOUSING

THREAD THE LOOPS OVER THE BOOT AND THEN THROUGH THE TRUNION HOUSING

PLACE VICE GRIPS ON THE WIRE LOOPS AND PULL THE BOOT THROUGH THE HOUSING.

IT SURE WORKED FOR ME!

Edited by Dick41
Update information

Good heavens what a job. When I did mine I went all out, pin pressed out, new boot, pin and assembly. I struggled to do it myself with a big press but I did it. This guy is pretty good.

Neat trick. If the double leather boots on my car wear out in my lifetime I'll have to remember this technique.

FWIW, when I viewed that video there was another suggested video on replacing the boots. It mentioned getting new boots from Mark Sherman. I searched on that name and found he has an ad at http://www.chrysler300clubinc.com/partsforsale.html

Not sure his boots would fit on our cars. . . the ad says "this is the larger boot that fits basically all cars with 4" Detroit joints". Not sure what the 4" measurement is, maybe across the mounting flange. I'll have to measure that on my spare driveshaft but I suspect the one on my Plymouth is smaller.