Powell sighting today

Mark D

While on my way home from the trimmers shop his afternoon (was inspecting progress on my convertible), I came across a Powell! Nearly froze in my tracks seeking it.  Immediately turned around stopped and took some photographs of this lovely beast.  It was parked in front of the barn that’s about 100 years old and now part of the local sand and gravel company’s offices.  The outfit, fittingly named, “Powell sand and gravel”, has been around for some time. It only dawned on me when I got home that the Power was on display at Powell’s...Next time I’m in the area I’m going to have to stop and chat with the owner.

7DA0F9AD-6588-47F9-B7BE-C4C3DC06A874.jpeg

C69B6645-4C03-4F33-9773-36CD68B38022.jpeg

67B906D0-0587-469E-AFAD-F6D58A9EFCD8.jpeg

3C41473D-E544-4CE3-96D7-7A223F3A020D.jpeg

9AF28144-3C5F-4F68-BD65-CB78B1871F82.jpeg

0B55457C-315B-4986-89D1-AA1E4CEA6451.jpeg

or is that beer holder........I think they are very unique and am glad they are out there and seen now and then..but they have no aesthetic features whatsoever...they are more plain than  poor Plain Jane herself......I have seen Cracker boxes with more style...but then again as I said....they are 'dare to be different'

• Like 1

concise but informative article on the Powell Brothers on Wiki.......hard to believe such a small company such as this stopping production and going to military support both WWII and Korea...article named the scooter as an item used....but I would suspect that with the radio background and continued move to smaller receivers was an item the military problem set them to task..

It's kinda funny this came up. Yesterday while I was in West Ky I saw one of these outside a 4WD shop but thought it must've been home-made. One of my friend's had a Powell scooter with a 500cc Triumph motor in it a couple of years back but I had no idea they made a 4 wheeled vehicle. Who says I can't learn new things??

That's a trick question, the answer is; everyone I know..;)

Edited by MackTheFinger
content

These things would fit right in with this Forum.  The drive train and suspension is all Plymouth.  Intended to be purely utilitarian...and use up a bunch of surplus Plymouth parts.  I forgot the cutoff year, though.  I know where a bullet riddled example is near Salt Flat, TX.  Still haven't decided whether to regret or be thankful I didn't score it when I could.  I've got photos somewhere, but I'll have to find and scan them.   

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2017 at 10:10 AM, Xlarashun said:

Same Here!

I would drive it most every Day. My wife says I am 'Sorta Warped' that way!

My wife says I’m fully warped... but it’s a good excuse sometimes.

• Haha 1

I became a Crosley fan many years ago.  A neighbor, who was a wizard with a torch and a welder, built a miniature America LaFrance firetruck based on a Crosley chassis.  And I rode along on its maiden voyage.  I was probably about 12 years old at the time.  Last I heard, the truck was purchased by an amusement park in California.  He would take it to local carnivals and sell rides from the "Never Make It Fire Company".  I have a photo of it that was published in Popular Mechanics magazine, but  cannot figure out how to add it to this post.  I attribute this neighbor for sparking my interest in metalworking/fabrication.  I will forever be grateful to him!

Wayne

Edited by Oldguy48
  • Like 1