Preparing for rear engine seal replacement...

Eclector

Replacing the rear engine seal on my '53 Pilothouse B4B. 

Just trying to line up my ducks before diving into this. I welcome any advice from those who have replaced their engine seals. 

1. What items should I be looking at buying before the Job? I'm thinking that at the least, I'll need an oil pan gasket and the rear engine seal kit. 

2. Is there anything else I should consider doing while I have the pan dropped? 

3. What's the realistic Pain In The Ass Factor for this job?

Thanks!

Go to the p15-d24 site and read the post " looking for a good oil ".

Edited by Mike36

Well not to put a damper on things, but if yours has the two piece seal like mine does...it's darn near impossible to change it with the  engine in the truck.  You will have to remove trans, and clutch and flywheel to get to the top half of the seal, but removing the flywheel is its own set of challenges if the bolts are seized into the crank like mine were....it's a horrible horrible job...LOL....sorry, just trying to be honest...I just replaced bottom 1/2 of mine this spring, that was enough to fix the problem, but I just got lucky, as it was changed already once when I rebuilt the engine.

if it's the 1 piece, then you should be able to roll it in, so oil pan set, some tie wire to put back on the main bearing bolts and some ultra black is always handy for the oil pan corners

I would strongly suggest actually checking exactly what type of seal IS there and compare that to what SHOULD be there as when I when to change the rear main seal in the 1941 Plymouth I went and bought a rope seal as that was what it should have had........I also had a complete Best brand gasket set(bought for the intended 230 rebuild) that had the 2 types of neoprene seal and both types of "ear" seals that go on the side of the rear main seal........image my surprise when after dropping the sump and rear main I found that the rope seal wasn't there....it had a neoprene seal and joy oh joy...........NO "ear" or side seals at all............lol.........so I installed the correct ear seals and left it at that, it still had a slight weep but the side seal install cured most of the leak.........my car was a supposedly "older" restoration but who knows whats been done to these cars over the yrs...........lol.........so I'd be checking 1st if possible before spending any coin..........regards, Andyd