Disc brake conversion

bob westphal

11 hours ago, JOHN EDGE said:

Have fatman dropped uprights but retained factory drum brakes

Interesting, and nothing absolutely nothing wrong with factory dual wheel cyl drum brakes in good working order and correctly adjusted and even arced....

30 minutes ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

Unless you drive in big city traffic....

Okay everyone who drives in big city traffic must have disc brakes?

Is this usage dictated, like "daily driver", stock drivetrain or not, freeways or just streets.

Now you are in a very hilly city, but not all big cities are hilly infact many are flatland.

I do not doubt your driving environment, just am not 100 % convinced you must have disc brakes to be driveable and safe...

Have nothing against putting disc brakes on my suburban. Braking would be improved. Just haven't found  a kit that I think fits my needs. Want to retain the stock wheels( that presents a problem) don't want to space the wheels any futher out and the  master cylinder upgrades seem to create pedal location problem. So for now I'll drive with my drum brakes. Lots of city driving( haven't run anyone over or created an accident) 

7 hours ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Okay everyone who drives in big city traffic must have disc brakes?

Is this usage dictated, like "daily driver", stock drivetrain or not, freeways or just streets.

Now you are in a very hilly city, but not all big cities are hilly infact many are flatland.

I do not doubt your driving environment, just am not 100 % convinced you must have disc brakes to be driveable and safe...

A must in big city traffic, probably not but neither are seat belts. I do drive my 49 a lot. commute, rain, traffic, etc.  After a few shoulder bail outs during sudden 70 to 10 stops, I converted  

@JOHN EDGE  I was able to use my stock 15" wheels with rustyhope's disc brakes without problems. Stock master worked fine after removing the internal residual pressure valve and adding a 2lb front and 10lb rear in line.

Adam

Edited by Adam H P15 D30

I'm in the middle of the front end on my '40 ... for what it's worth - I went with the scarebird kit as there were no modifications to the knuckle needed and would work with my stock wheels.  For the master cylinder I went with the pedal kit offered by ECI.  This replaces the pedal pivot point, retains stock pedals and location while allowing you to run a dual reservoir master cylinder.  Stay tuned ont he 1940 build thread as I'm working on the suspension parts going back on.  Once on, I'll be doing the brakes.

the advantages of disc over drum need not be revisited, just like the man said about seat belts..

Rusty hope conversion with my home built master cylinder using Chevrolet manual disc  brake cylinder...ECI unit looks good too...works perfect..

Relocate upper shock mounts while you're in there...helps a lot...

Edited by Tom
Forgot pictures

I appreciate all the coments but am asking what parts & modifications guys on the forum used in their disc conversions. At present I still have the stock front brakes. I felt that the original system wasn't quite adequate for the added power of the SL6, so I installed a power booster system from Speedway on the firewall with an under dash pedal. This gives plenty of braking. While I'm installing R&P, I thought I might look into front discs. 

4 hours ago, JOHN EDGE said:

ill look into that thanks

Just to be clear, I have since gone to a dual master cylinder for safety reasons.  I did the gut the old master cylinder and run a longer rod through it method, works fine.  As I was happy with the performance of the old master so I kept the same bore size.

This is all on my 49, my 47 is a completely different animal...

FWIW,

Adam

Edited by Adam H P15 D30

17 minutes ago, bob westphal said:

I appreciate all the coments but am asking what parts & modifications guys on the forum used in their disc conversions. At present I still have the stock front brakes. I felt that the original system wasn't quite adequate for the added power of the SL6, so I installed a power booster system from Speedway on the firewall with an under dash pedal. This gives plenty of braking. While I'm installing R&P, I thought I might look into front discs. 

No other mods needed after installing disc brakes.  With your master cylinder up high, you probably won't even need residual pressure valves at least on the front.  Maybe a combination valve but then again, maybe not....

Adam