Tips on radio static

p24-1953

Both of the plymouths have a issue with radio static while the car is running, so much that the radio is useless.  If the car is turned off the stations come In Loud and clear,  both have been recapped and retrofitted with a mp3 inputs but even that had static when the ignition is on.  What can I do to reduce interference?

Maybe it's just me, and I know this is literally no help at all, but I sure like listening to that flathead six ticking along....  Personally I don't play a radio in any of my old cars.  Rather listen to the mill.  It's music....  And if something is amiss I know about it quickly. 

Wish you luck with your problem!!  

I found a picture of the proper condenser hook up to the Generator on ebay, but could not copy it, and save it to share. My 1948 Chrysler Manual doesn't have a picture, or I would share it. I just thought it would be nice to see a picture of it for the new guys to learn something.

• 9 months later...

This "used to be" a common problem.  Issue is interference from high voltage, primarily spark plug and coil wires that aren't shielded or engineered to prevent it.  (I don't remember the science behind it, but I remember dealing with it many moons ago.)  The problem has been eliminated in newer vehicles with modern electronics - making shielded wiring harder to find.  Used to be that if you bought a car or truck with no radio, then decided to add a radio, you probably had to upgrade the pug wires, too. The radio option wasn't just the unit, it was the electronics to go with it, too.  ("Shielded" wires being the resistor wires Greg suggests.) 

Edited by Dan Hiebert

Everyone's on the right track with resistor plugs and wires. It may also be possible to shield your radio somewhat. There's foil and shielding paint available to shield guitar pickups.  I put a Telecaster copy together for the kid a few years ago and for whatever reason didn't shield the pickups. It seemed to work okay until I took it to my kid's in Chicago. Plugged it in and the bridge pickup would bring in radio stations! It was a real Spinal Tap moment. ?

For the radio in my truck  i had to use ferrite core suppressors ( link) on all the wires leading to the radio. You can buy a bag of em of different sizes. The suppressor cores worked. If you can coil the wire then put the core over the coil so that multiple passes of the wire go through the suppressor that seems to help too. Probably wouldn't hurt to put a big one on the coil wire? I put em all over the wires connected to the radio. it's easy to do, they just snap on.*

other things to do. Increase the wire sizes from the alternator to the battery also make sure all your grounds are good and adequate. Increase the gauge of the ground wire for the radio. making a shield for the back of the radio out of Mu-foil (google this it's pretty cool) might help as long as it doesn't trap heat.

*this was for a retrosounds unit but the principal is the same I believe for original radios.

Edited by Greg51T&CWagon

From personal experience, I would either go with resistor plugs OR wires.  I inadvertently went with both. I kept the resistor plugs and went solid core wire. Car idles smoother and is more responsive. You might consider spiral core wires.  Seems like it’s the best of both worlds.

you can also still run a condenser on an alternator as well.

• 1 year later...

It really depends on the noise. If it seems to be a whine that winds up/down with engine rpm the source is likely the generator.alternator.  If you can disable the generator/alternator from producing and the noise goes away you have found it.

To filter the generator/alternator output Use MOPAR 4606866AA or equivalent.   Bolt the ring to the output stud and ground the spade terminal.

If it's staticky like during a storm then it's likely ignition noise.  Resistor plugs and/or wires can help.  You can put a noise suppressor on the coil, use WELLS 1B1011.  Fork terminal to the coil + connection and bolt the cap to ground.

The condensor inside the distributor can also be a contributor if it fails.  Replacement is simple.