Wayfarer Off to France

DLK

I said goodbye to my 1950 Wayfarer sedan after 8 years today.  It was more emotional than I expected.  Unlike a lot of my car club friends, I have never had more than one collector car at a time.  The good news is I have had the chance to get to know a little about the family in Brittany that bought my car.  They seem like really nice people and I hope they enjoy the car as much as I did.

Now the question is do I buy another old car?  For now the answer is no, since I am still stuck with the undersized garage and no work space. That is the principal reason I sold this car.

On carrier.jpg

Oct 17-2017.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I  wish you had taken the hubcaps off and hidden them under the rear seat. They are just too pretty to survive passing through that many hands before reaching the new owners without getting "lost".

12 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

I  wish you had taken the hubcaps off and hidden them under the rear seat. They are just too pretty to survive passing through that many hands before reaching the new owners without getting "lost".

Well at least I took plenty of pictures on the transport if they need to file a claim but you are right.

56 minutes ago, kope49 said:

Well at least I took plenty of pictures on the transport if they need to file a claim but you are right.

ALWAYS a good idea when shipping a car. When the guy delivered the 58 Rambler stationwagon to me that was shipped from NY the hubcaps were all missing from it,and he tried to  claim there were no hubcaps on it when he picked it up. When I showed him photos of the car being loaded on his carrier he went and pulled them out of the cab off his truck and gave them to me.

When my 50  Lincoln was delivered,the hubcaps,carbuerator,generator,and several other items were missing. Worse of all,the windshield was broken out from the hood not being latched after removing the parts under the hood and not latching it. The hood was also bent,but repairable.

When  I tried to file a insurance claim against the driver,the  insurance company told me the policy had been cancelled for non-payment months before.

I haven't bought a car and had it delivered since those two happened in a row. I either go get it myself,the seller delivers it to me and gets paid on delivery,or  I don't buy it unless I personally know the seller.

Ever tried to find and buy a NOS windshield for a 50-51 Lincoln?

Edited by knuckleharley

49 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Ever tried to find and buy a NOS windshield for a 50-51 Lincoln?

That is one nice thing about the 1950 Dodge. Two piece flat windshield.  When I look at those forward-look Mopars from 57-59 I just imagine the cost of a replacement windshield, if you can find one.

2 hours ago, kope49 said:

That is one nice thing about the 1950 Dodge. Two piece flat windshield.  When I look at those forward-look Mopars from 57-59 I just imagine the cost of a replacement windshield, if you can find one.

It's cheaper to buy forward look parts cars than it is to buy forward look parts

• 2 months later...

The Wayfarer finally made it to the new owner in France.  A couple of interesting observations....  The light switch knob disappeared between the loading of the car and its arrival in France.  (A trophy for the hauler??).  I never had that knob off and I know it wasn't loose.  I imagine it will be fun finding that used part overseas.   Second the guy who picked up the car (about the only English word he knew was a four letter word that starts with F) :(  parked my car under a car that leaked oil or brake fluid all over it.  When it got to the dock in Elizabeth NJ it was covered with it.  You can see by the picture from La Havre, France somebody did a good cleanup job.

France arrival front.jpg

arrival in New york.jpg