rear leaf spring pin removel

gramps1951

I watched the you tube video on this and I thought wow that was too easy I have the rear spring allready to come out but  the front pin I removed the bolt and threaded it into the pin like in the video and tapped and fired up my torches and got it glowing red and still no movement. has anyone got a trick to get that s.o.b. out so I can get my new springs in.  Thanks Neil

As long as you have removed the bolt... the pin should tap through. The pin has a groove in it for the bolt to slide through and prevent the pin from coming out.

I tap mine out from the inside. There is a hole conveniently located in the chassis allowing one to get a drift in there and hit it with a BFH. You might also try raising or lowering the truck to slightly take weight off (or add it on) the spring. Sounds like your pin has been dry in place for years!

Rear spring.JPG

thank you very much  I didn't notice the hole in the frame looks like it might be hard to hit it very well being inside the cross member. There is no pressure on the spring at this time found out I'll have to order rear shakles . when I did the front springs I ordered front shackles but didn't need them but since I had new ones I put them in with the rears I did't order them and would'nt you know I need them.  I am on vaction this week and I am spending it working on my truck. pulled the bed off going to clean the frame and paint it might box the rear part of the frame and got a new gas tank from tanks with new sending unit. Thanks again for the info any other tips you might have. Neil

well with your help and a torch and air chisel  I got those pins out I ordered new pins from roberts those pins would'nt take grease for as long as I have owned the truck and it showed. Thanks again . Neil

Hey gramps1951,

Those are most likely my videos you watched. The pins are soaked with penetrating oil first.

Sometimes they give it up and sometimes it takes a lil more. The video helps show what's going on

with the whole set-up and not so much "hey, this is easy!" ...lol.

Glad you got'er out. 

48D 

• 3 months later...

I am having trouble getting my rear suspension front leaf pivot pins back in after I bought new springs.  Any tips?  I can get it about 75% in, but it isn't going in all the way.

When I remove the spring, I can put the pin in all the way no problem, I'm just having a hard time lining up the spring with the mount.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2017 at 7:58 AM, 48Dodger said:

Hey gramps1951,

Those are most likely my videos you watched. The pins are soaked with penetrating oil first.

Sometimes they give it up and sometimes it takes a lil more. The video helps show what's going on

with the whole set-up and not so much "hey, this is easy!" ...lol.

Glad you got'er out. 

48D 

I enjoy your videos ,thanks you for doing them for us....with all the trucks you have do I happen to have a extra rear hub????? 5 bolt hub thanks Steve

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 4:46 PM, gramps1951 said:

48dodger I want to thankyou for your videos they are very helpful . How about your next video on steering box rebuild that would be great!!

3 hours ago, 5027 steve said:

I enjoy your videos ,thanks you for doing them for us....

Thank you gentlemen......HanksB3B did a great write up on the steering box rebuild a while back. Maybe I should go visit him and make a video of him explaining what went on....infact I should make a few videos of the guys on this forum.

48D 

Hanks post 1

Hanks post 2

• Like 1

I'm sure that Hank would be pleased with your kind words Tim. He did a great job on his steering box and his truck drives really nice and very straight on the road.

He has been quite busy with family matters of late. He has recently been cleaning up some original rims readying them for his truck. I am trying to lure him back here, and I'm pretty sure that Rod is doing the same!

I had a couple of 53/54 Dodge truck steering boxes rebuilt last year. I was fortunate that a tenant at one of our commercial properties repairs CV joints and car rack and pinions... who'd have thought that he'd be very good with old 50's truck steering boxes hey! I'm still hoping to have my 53 Dodge 'coupe' truck back on the road later this year.