Three speed OD floor shifter

pflaming

I'm close to final fabrication of a floor shifter  for my R 10 overdrive. If someone would like one to test and purchase subject to workability,  I will make as many as four additional complete units at a very reasonable price.  This shifter will attach to a non OD car transmission as well. These at first come first served basis via email response date.  I will drive test the shifter before I send a unit to others to test. 

My rational is that oft times a builder can make something work for himself, but not universally so. Thus if I have several units in use in different driving conditions then the tests have greater validity.

Attached picture shifter is similar. 

pflaming@mail.fresnostate.edu.

IMG_8627.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎17 at 6:54 PM, pflaming said:

I'm close to final fabrication of a floor shifter  for my R 10 overdrive. If someone would like one to test and purchase subject to workability,  I will make as many as four additional complete units at a very reasonable price.  This shifter will attach to a non OD car transmission as well. These at first come first served basis via email response date.  I will drive test the shifter before I send a unit to others to test. 

My rational is that oft times a builder can make something work for himself, but not universally so. Thus if I have several units in use in different driving conditions then the tests have greater validity.

Attached picture shifter is similar. 

pflaming@mail.fresnostate.edu.

IMG_8627.JPG

Great! I have bought a '49 Plymouth or Dodge 218" with three gears plus overdrive unit. Donor car was equipped with column-shift. I'm not sure but I guess it must be what you show in the picture. My plan is to put everything in my '37 Plymouth Coupe and to use a conversion kit to get the shifter in original floor position, which is center of gearbox.
Is that possible with your equipment?

Edited by Rumblin Rolf

Yes. I had to redesign and refabricate my shifter for an R10 overdrive. It is mechanically 99% completed. It had to be mounted forward of the large solenoid

Paul

IMG_1629.JPG

Edited by pflaming
Added photo

• 4 months later...

Great Project,

Looking to pot a floor shift conversion in my 47 P15. What is the price and lead time, I am in Carson City NV.

Rich Mann

cruzn47@sbcglobal.net

Three speed OD floor shifter

By pflaming, October 17, 2017 in Technical Archives 

Rate this topic

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Hey, you are only a couple easy miles to the BBQ. Come on over, check out my shifter and let's visit. 

I had to fabricate a new design for the overdrive. It had to be mounted on the front of the transmission. This is a late version of what I have. Parts are currently with a very good machine shop being refined.

i also have a prototype for a truck. That is a lot more involved. Maybe those parts will be back by Q time as well. 

IMG_2332.JPG

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

Frank, I fabricated it for my use so it is not super refined. To sell was not the motivation. I want a floor shifter to go with the bucket seats in the Suburban. The handle movement is forward and back, the lift mechanism switches to R and first which are internally spring loaded to always return to 2nd and high. The lever movement is only 4 inches. It will serve my purposes with or without overdrive. Fun but tedious project. 

The tedious part part was to get it to shift easily and smoothly. Those precise locations, by trial and error were difficult to locate because each change impacted other areas. Since I'm not an engineer, I had only trial and error to use. The entire assembly mounts on two existing clutch housing bolts and has nothing to adjust. 

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1