First start up.

Today I started the engine for the first time even though I have had the engine built for quite a while, I am still working on the gas tank but there's nothing wrong with filling the float bowl and pouring a little fuel into the body of the carb. After retarding the timing from where it was it hit right off the bat. I had to fight an oil leak at the filter because I thought I never would get it tight enough. There was good oil flow though as it didn't take long to make a good puddle in the floor. Whenever I get the fuel tank and enough gas to keep it running for a while I can set the timing with the timing light.

I had worked most of the morning trying to bleed out the brake lines without any luck. I had used steel brake lines which is all the parts houses in these parts had. I must have a air leak because vacuum bleeding makes it worse. I can get enough pressure to turn on the brake lights, but that's about it. I tightened all of the lines to the point something is about to strip out. I think rather than more brute force I will just back up and get some copper-nickel lines from Summit. I have all new wheel cylinders, a new 2 stage master cylinder, new combination/proportioning valve and residual valves on each end. I don't see fluid leaks, I just can't get any pressure. Any pointers guys?

1 hour ago, mechresto said:

Did you bench bleed your MC?

Also always inspect the double flares, modern steel line loves to cracking on the outside of the fold at the seam.

Yes, I did bench bleed the MC. I figure you're right on the cracks at the fold. One of the main reasons for going to the copper-nickel line. I probably couldn't spot the crack if my life depended on it. I did reuse one of the old lines that looked ok but from what I hear they can have a lot of corrosion in the inside.

Edited by johnsartain