46 P15 Vacuum wiper linkage connection to vacuum motor

3046moparcoupe

Working my way through either rebuilding the vacuum motor or replacing with a Newport electric wiper motor setup. Question please regarding the vacuum motor and linkage I pulled out from under the dash of this car, (see 2ea pics attached)..

The main wiper drive arm coming off the motor (approx. 2" and "V" shaped) has 2ea small brass, hexagon shaped, connectors that look like a normal brass nut that's riveted solid in place on each end of the arm. Each connector also has a nipple with a groove on the top side that accepts a clip that prevents each linkage arm from falling off.

The ends of each linkage arm have nothing but a round 7/16 hole in them. Would I be correct in assuming that there should be a rubber grommet for the hole in each linkage arm ?

Also trying to rule out the possibility of these not being oem linkage arms, etc...my parts book isn't helping me answer this, as it has the wiper assembly pretty much lumped all together under a different mopar part number.

The part numbers I see on the arms are as follows: passenger side shows the number 205 and also a part # 7862612, driver side shows the number 206 and also a part # 7862512. These look to be TRICO part numbers,  and doing a quick internet search on them brought back nothing.

So far in dis-assembling this car, it has proven to be all original - so I guess the odds are in my favor that these are the correct parts - but quickly as I type that out here in this post, I am reminded of what the director of engineering once told me,,...that being - Steve - you know what assume stands for don't you ? what ? guaranteed to make an a## out of you and me..

thanks for the help and direction with this.

Steve.

100_4288.JPG

100_4287.JPG

Edited by 3046moparcoupe

after posting this, I found some pics on here from past posts that do show rubber grommets, it even gave a part number for the grommets through a site called Collectorsautosupply, and listed a part # 1239271as being correct for multiple years of Mopar, however then the info appears to have been retracted as a disregard, stating that the grommet changed in yr 1949...??

another thing I learned after finding the past post referenced above, is that the hex shaped brass looking linkage connectors that the linkage arms attach to, are supposed to swivel,...mine we're froze tight,....so with a little pb blaster soaking, one spins freely as it should, the other is turning - however the entire rivet, hex nut and clip connection area is all turning, not just the hex nut spinning on the shaft as it should, like connector #1....I rigged up a way to let the connector #2 soak in a thimble full of pb blaster, to continue to try and free it up.

Not sure, now that the shaft itself is turning, and if I can get the hex nut to freely spin - how critical it will be to try and get that shaft to remain stationary again, oh well, one thing at a time I suppose.

again any and all replys are welcome and appreciated.

Steve

Edited by 3046moparcoupe

There's some kind of grommet in the arms but I can't remember if they're rubber, plastic, or oilite. The arms on yours look correct to me. I'm not sure what shaft you're saying isn't working correctly. Also keep in mind that these motors don't turn in a circle like a more modern unit. They wag back and forth if that makes sense.

My wiper motor worked but wouldn't make it through a complete cycle. I disconnected the arms from the motor and left them under the dash when I took the motor out, poured some lube through the vacuum port and worked the actuator back and forth until it seemed like it had freed up somewhat. Then I hooked the motor up to vacuum to test it before re-installing it. I managed to lose one of the jesus clips and replaced it with a clip from my collection. Lubing solved my problem and hopefully will solve yours, too. Vacuum wipers aren't really all that bad. If I had a V8 like yours I might have to worry about not having wipers when passing someone but with a stock 218 that won't happen very often. 

• Thanks 1

Hello Mack, thanks for the reply back,...no, I've got no V8, mines still a stock 218 as well,...I went ahead and took the motor apart, it was full of dried grease, cleaned it all up,....the external parts that were froze up, were the connectors that attach the motor to the linkage arms, (they wouldn't spin), biggest issue I have now, is that the parking/sealing washer (located on the internal paddle) was starting to fray apart. So I drilled out the rivet and removed it. Need to replace that thin little piece and can't for the life of me decide what would be the best thing to use....whats gonna hold up and last....I'd like to keep it simple and just use the same thing as original, but no one in internet land seems to know what the original material was. It's usually referred to as the leather exhaust washer, or the parking washer...however it looks like some kind of a canvas material....this thin (.010) material is what the vacuum from your intake manifold pulls against 100% of the time when your not using your wipers....so it's what's prevents you from having a vacuum leak condition associated with the vacuum wipers...I've been reading about epdm, nioprine, etc...looks like I could find a suitable washer from a rebuild kit for just about any kind of vacuum wiper, but they seem to be hard to track down, sorta like hen's teeth.....:)

Ah, I had you confused with another person who's also working on vacuum wipers. He's running a small block Chevy. I was lucky and didn't have to disassemble my wiper motor. I'd probably cut out a piece of thin leather or inner tube and try that. Otherwise wiperman.com may be your best bet. 

• Thanks 1

You can avoid the cost of electric wiper conversion kits and still have electric wipers....get a rear wiper motor from an s-10 blazer....it is a back and forth not a circle motor...the sweep is close to what you need...a few pieces from the hardware store and some creative bracketry and you're all set ...12 v of course ...about $20 will do it..

Edited by Tom
Forgot to include cost
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Mack & Tom,  I sure do appreciate the reply's back. I have heard many times here on the forum that I overthink things - which probably limits the amount of replys / help I receive back from folks.  not complaining about that, I understand completely,..they are probably 100% correct...all I can say is it's not an attempt on my part to try and impress anyone or outdo anyone, it's just the way God made me I suppose...in my previous occupations, it always was a plus for me and allowed for a successful boss/employee relationship, however that doesn't seem to be so much the case here on the forum,....I do want to stress however, that without the forum, and without all the help I have had from it's members over the last few years, I would not be where I am today with this project....the knowledge here is superb..I raised 5 boys, did pretty much all the wrenching on my vehicles and their's when they were still home,..but working on 70's and 80's and 90's stuff is quite a bit different than this old 40's...

Tom, I will definitely check out the S10 wiper motor recommendation...that's about as helpful a reply back as anyone could have provided...many thanks..

Steve.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I took my arms to the hardware store and got a rubber grommet that fit the OD. Turns out the ID was a little tight but I think you could fix that with a reamer. 

If you want to go electric you can also check out the elec wipers of the dodge desoto chryslers from 46-48. Then you'd still be 6v( I don't recall if you are going to convert to 12)