1953 B4 front disc brake conversion

bergy

Hello to all.  I just in process of using rusty hopes conversion. I had a local machine shop do my threading and drilling. My latest question pertains to the ty rod adjustment.Since rhe ty rods fasten to the control arms on top of the caliper brackets-which are 3/8 inch thick.how do you compensate for the shortened distance and then the reduced length .? Is it possible to shorten the ty rod by 3/8 inch on each end to compensate -thus making the ty rod 3/4 inch shorter-will I have enough threads on the shortened ty rod? 

Now the 2nd question pertains to the drag link- or center link.Since this piece has no adjustment  which is the best way to correct this? I've seen on the forum some used a ty rod- some cut  and added a ty rod joint. Some cut and reworked the drag link? Which is the best way? Why isn't this addressed in the initial sales information? I did not see any reference to having to rework the  steering arms.. thanks and good day

I had to cut about an inch off  both tie rod ends and both threaded female parts the tie rods thread into not a big deal just used a hack saw in vice. but I too think it should have been in the directions. The drag link you do not have to touch. I am very happy with rusty hope disc brakes i'd do it again in a heart beat.

You should be able to just cut the tube that the tie rods screw into, shouldn't have to touch the tie rods themselves.  I cut the right hand threaded side one, and I might have run a few more threads in it...just be careful when you disassemble to mark which side is which and the passenger side is left hand thread

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...