What Kind Of Oil Filter Fitting?

Bingster

I have an oil line coming out of the block with a strange fitting, or at least to me. It seems like a rubber hose fitting.  I'm sure I cut the hose when I took the oil filter canister off.  The brass piece just spins. It's all one fitting.  The second photo shows where it is coming out of the block to the right of the double oil lines.

59e3c21dd8295_1980-01-0100_00.29-1.jpg.f3b2aebffa247f8552ee317e4c7d7d80.jpg

59e3c2354b0df_OilFittings.jpg.8eb466c20c0144a91b529fe7deb720a0.jpg

Edited by Bingster

Yep, you guessed it......thats whats left of the oil line, probably the one that went to the oil guage on the dash as they have a rubber hose in the line to allow for engine vibrations..........so why did you cut it? ....the brass bit that spins is called a ferrul, when the hose is made it is clamped onto the rubber part of the hose.....it, the hose may have had a similar part on the other end or as this end is the "male" end the other end would probably have a "female" end that a hard line from/to the gauge screws into.............so long as you don't leave the opening in the block open you can run the engine but with it open all the oil will come out..........and its a good idea to have a working oil gauge so looks like you need to get another hose..............andyd..   

I just found what looks like the same hose on ebay and it's a fuel pump hose. Same fittings.  Was that a replacement by somebody?  Anyway, it's not the fuel gauge line with the rubber intermediate hose cause that hose is intact and coming out of the dual block fitting.

So should I replace the rubber hose with a rubber hose?

Bingster:  You need to get the proper oil line rubber hose asnd not the fuel line rubber hose. I have a Mopar streamliner catalog and onn the engine section in the catalog it shows the oil line hose being connected at the same location as on your car and then the metal oil line runs upto the oil pressure guage.  Look in 1947 desoto oil line on ebay you will find one.  Do not use the fuel line hose becasue the  line is smaller on the oil line and so is the rubber hose.

Just did a search on ebay and there are several brand new rubber oil line hoses starting around $18.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Edited by desoto1939

As DrDoctor said, try napa or any well stocked auto parts store. Your big box stores probably won't have what you need. You need to go to a real Parts house or a said a tractor implement parts store. You'll need to know the length hose you need, they use to have them already made up in different lengths.

Bingster.........what I said................btw Bingster.........do you have a workshop manual for this car?.........if so have you read it?...........if not I suggest you get one............and not a CD but a paper manual............you'll be surprised just what you will learn........regards, andyd

Yes, I do have the parts book and the shop manual.  I've looked at the parts book for the oil lines but it didn't say specifically whether or not any line was rubber or flexible. At least I couldn't find one.  I've looked in the shop manual and couldn't find that either.

yes you can find the NOS OLD OLD stock oil lines but remember that they will be approx 60+ years old. Iwould purchase brand new rubber lines just my suggestion.

Not sure if Andy B is selling brand new lines or the old NOS oil lines.

Rich Hartung

58 minutes ago, Bingster said:

Thanks.  If I have Napa do one, what material (rubber) do I ask for?  There seems to be a difference between fuel and oil.

Your making this harder than it needs to be, just take what you have to Napa and tell them you need an oil line the size thread you have from your old hose. Tell them the length and they should have them already made up. They are usually a stock item factory made.

If the  oil filter is fastened to the engine as it should be,  there is no need for a flexible hose.   The pressure gauge on the dash should be connected to the double fitting nearest the block, which has a smaller orifice than the outer port which is the line to the inlet of the  filter.

The flexible hose you cut must therefore be the return line .  

Some Chryslers used a flexible line all the way to the gauge but most used a short  flexible  link between the engine and the firewall.  It fastened to the inner port on the double fitting or in some cases to a single behind the starter.

The oil pressure line should have a a rubber hose that matches the size of the metal line. The hose is used so that if the engine moves then the metal line willnot flex and then get a metal fatique spot and then the oil will run out of the line and also be pumped out while the engine is running.

Rich Hartung

• 8 months later...

Well, I took that fitting to an auto parts store that makes hoses and they couldn't do rubber. Turns out it was an oil line hose coming off the out take of the oil filter housing. Somebody had modified it, apparently. So the guy says that they have the metal line with the inverted flare fittings with the same thread as the sample. It is a stock length so I had to deal with it. After making a few lines to fit between the engine oil port of the filter, I finally discovered that I was missing the brass elbow on the bottom of the filter. Without that the fitting won't seat.

So now I have to find a brass elbow replacement.  But it's harder than hell getting the fitting to the engine started. I wish I had the fender removed. But I don't want to do that now. Still wish I could find a rubber hose.

1 hour ago, Bingster said:

Well, I took that fitting to an auto parts store that makes hoses and they couldn't do rubber. Turns out it was an oil line hose coming off the out take of the oil filter housing. Somebody had modified it, apparently. So the guy says that they have the metal line with the inverted flare fittings with the same thread as the sample. It is a stock length so I had to deal with it. After making a few lines to fit between the engine oil port of the filter, I finally discovered that I was missing the brass elbow on the bottom of the filter. Without that the fitting won't seat.

So now I have to find a brass elbow replacement.  But it's harder than hell getting the fitting to the engine started. I wish I had the fender removed. But I don't want to do that now. Still wish I could find a rubber hose.

The fitting should be a 1/8" NPT male by female flare. It is something that NAPA stocks. I just got 4 of them for my engine rebuild project.  I am using 3/16" brake line tubing to plumb up the oil filter.

Bingster:  As a previous posted has stated you are making this harder on yourself.  Fisrt you need a metal line that runs from the engine block thenthe flared fitting to match the rubber hose and yes rubber Oil Line. They are approx  6 inches long with an inverted flare on both ends.  Contact Any Bernbaum he has them then there is another metal line that runs to the Oil Pressure guauge this part of the metal line runs throught the cowl metal part and goes throught the rubber grommet to the oil gage.

We have explained this over and over agian hope you now get the big picture.  Spend the money to get the right part and stop playing around and trying to jerry rig the system

Rich HArtung

And I'm not jerry-rigging anything. In have a 10.5 inch distance to run a line from the engine block to under the oil filter housing using the same type identical metal line that already exists coming out of the engine. I'm using a bender to make a new line like the auto parts guy said and I have made one that will work if the rubber hose that I have ordered doesn't work. All I would need is a brass elbow on the lower port of the oil filter.

Now, I really don't appreciate the condescending reply that you gave me, Rich. Have I done something bad to you?

ygetPart?uid=31232740&partId=2&scope=STANDARD&saveAs=IMG_0828.JPG

Bingster here isa picture of the rubber oil line notice the two metal lines the bottom one come s up from the engine blcok the top metal line goes to the oil filtr..  The oil line to the oil pressure gague does not run from the oil filter it run from the connection at the base of the engine.

Rich