Help identifying engine

TylerB46

Hi folks, I have a 1946 1/2 ton dodge truck, it doesn't have the original engine. Instead it has some other dodge flathead 6 that was rebuilt by an independent rebuilder decades ago. I don't know if the rebuilder did it or what but the serial number is gone. Can any of you tell me if there's something else i can look at to tell what engine this is?

How long is the head?  Note that in the head above #6 cylinder is a plug.  Remove this plug, insert a six inch or so piece of stiff wire. It will ride the cylinder through its stroke.  When you know the stroke you can figure the displacement.  Is there any info about an overbore?

12 minutes ago, greg g said:

How long is the head?  Note that in the head above #6 cylinder is a plug.  Remove this plug, insert a six inch or so piece of stiff wire. It will ride the cylinder through its stroke.  When you know the stroke you can figure the displacement.  Is there any info about an overbore?

There's a pic of the rebuild card, it's hard for me to understand, but maybe one of you can understand it. Also the head is 23 inches long.

IMG_0262.JPG

Edited by TylerB46

19 minutes ago, greg g said:

So if the stroke measures 4 3/8 in. it was a 218, with the over bore its around a 220.  If the stroke is 4 5/8 it's was a 230 now a 236.  Is there nothing legible on the block over the Genny?  Might need to wire brush it.

It had D N 3 on it.