Steering wheel adapter

aj1936

The steering wheel on my 36 pickup is shot. It has major cracks and pieces missing from the base part. I'm afraid its going to split apart on me while driving. Is there any adapter that would allow use of modern type wheel until the bank account is full enough to buy a original restored replacement.

Same problem, but I'm no help - mine is a 21" OD steering wheel, any one got one of these, as I haven't tried (lately) to get to the adds page. Charlie Stephenson 

Charlie...

Can you post some pictures of your 1953 YX and 1951-52 RX trucks?

I'll Try again.  My mouth runs better than my computer skills. Charlie Stephenson

2 hours ago, aj1936 said:

The steering wheel on my 36 pickup is shot. It has major cracks and pieces missing from the base part. I'm afraid its going to split apart on me while driving. Is there any adapter that would allow use of modern type wheel until the bank account is full enough to buy a original restored replacement.

AJ, I am no authority on steering wheels but I sold one to a member who I believe had a modern smaller  wheel           on his truck and he wanted the original one back because something about it was harder to turn corners with the different one. 

Just something to consider or look into

Making an assumption that your steering wheel is black plastic with a metal rod core, then using the steering wheel as is should not be a real big issue as long as the metal rod core has not been compromised. Typically the core is in good shape. The real issues is that the steering wheel looks ugly. VPW has 17" black plastic steering wheels, some of the keyed variety, some with splines, all to fit different size shaft. Their price is $195 if one will work. Getting set up with everything for a grant steering wheel could easily cost just as much. Beside the steering wheel you're looking at a mounting kit and a horn kit.

Edited by johnsartain

I had talked to a guy at Grant a couple months back and just now ran up on the email he sent. I am not sure for your steering column is the same as the one in my B2B, but his recommendation for a  Grant installation kit was for the Grant 4290 kit. According to him it should match the splines on my column.

I replaced my '47' truck wheel with a Grant banjo. Pre 48's 1/2 tons have a smooth shaft , no splines, just a key. Grant has only one hub for marine applications and it fit my shaft perfectly. May fit yours too. 14-1/2" wheel is actually easier to handle than the 18".More elbow room, less perceivable wheel play. I reversed my hub to get the wheel further from my chest and required some modification only because I chose an optional billet horn ring.Photo won't load.DRATS 

59ed70651fd6f_IMG_4095(1).jpg.1e4444907679ff2c6da2e171e9dd3255.jpg59ed70651fd6f_IMG_4095(1).jpg.1e4444907679ff2c6da2e171e9dd3255.jpgI replaced my '47' truck wheel with a Grant banjo. Pre 48's 1/2 tons have a smooth shaft , no splines, just a key. Grant has only one hub for marine applications and it fit my shaft perfectly. May fit yours too. 14-1/2" wheel is actually easier to handle than the 18".More elbow room, less perceivable wheel play. I reversed my hub to get the wheel further from my chest and required some modification only because I chose an optional billet horn ring.Photo won't load.DRATS .Woah, 3 fotos now. I'll send anyway, sorry