Chrysler Industrial Transplants

55 Fargo

Okay, who has ever used a Chrysler industrial engine in their car or truck?

This could be a 230, 250 or 265, and what did you install it into.

How did it work out, did you change anything about the engine?

Was the cam profile designed for Industrial use and possibly high torque low RPM cause any challenges.

Were the cylinder heads used as is, or were they milled or swapped?

So lay it on us those who have undertaken this swap.

Were the Industrial engines a lot more powerful than what it replaced or were they similar displacements to begin with?

I've used Industrial motors transplanted into road-going Plymouths. 218 CI. The only change I made was to the distributor. The Industrial engines run a distributor with no vacuum advance. The only other outward change from the car motors is that the industrial engines use studs to hold the head down. Cam profiles and compression ratios are not changed from the automobile motors up through about 1947, I believe, at least with the 218's.

I have run a 218 industrial in a tug for a long time too. Great engine.

Edited by jeffsunzeri
spelling

Here is my Chrysler IND 265, take note of the had CC depth and size.

This engine is most likely cammed for low RPM Maximum torque, its a Massey Combine engine from the late 60s.

Its in overall good shape, very slight cylinder ridge, was rebuilt once .040 pistons and rings...

20171013_140443_resized.jpg

20171013_140501_resized.jpg

20171013_140527_resized.jpg

20171013_140533_resized.jpg

Here is the IND 265 head and a late 50s 250 truck head, other than CC volume and depth I see very little CC design differences.

20160310_134030_resized.jpg

20171013_140501_resized.jpg

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

20 hours ago, jeffsunzeri said:

I've used Industrial motors transplanted into road-going Plymouths. 218 CI. The only change I made was to the distributor. The Industrial engines run a distributor with no vacuum advance. The only other outward change from the car motors is that the industrial engines use studs to hold the head down. Cam profiles and compression ratios are not changed from the automobile motors up through about 1947, I believe, at least with the 218's.

I have run a 218 industrial in a tug for a long time too. Great engine.

Picture tug please...love those little beasts!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, 59bisquik said:

Mine has a 218 Industrial in it from a airport tug. We used all the manifolds and distributor off the stock 230 and swapped her in. She runs pretty good!

Tug Motor 2 2005.jpg

Tug Motor 2005.jpg

So you are running this engine in the truck?

If so how is it, the RPM range etc?

Most industrial engines are cammed for lower RPM and lower RPM max torque....im gathering...

The truck runs really good and is smooth through the RPM’s for power. I generally run her around 3200 rpms @ 70 mph. I can hold that from here to Vegas with no issues and pull all the grades. She easily sprints to redline if I wish. I have never had a chance to drive the original 230, so I can’t really compare.

The 218 does have dual exhaust, a Pertronix ignition and the 4 blade fan off the 230. The 7 blade tug fan was a bit much for the highway. It also has the 218 heavy industrial flywheel.

Very soon she will be retired and the Hemi going in. 

17 hours ago, 59bisquik said:

The truck runs really good and is smooth through the RPM’s for power. I generally run her around 3200 rpms @ 70 mph. I can hold that from here to Vegas with no issues and pull all the grades. She easily sprints to redline if I wish. I have never had a chance to drive the original 230, so I can’t really compare.

The 218 does have dual exhaust, a Pertronix ignition and the 4 blade fan off the 230. The 7 blade tug fan was a bit much for the highway. It also has the 218 heavy industrial flywheel.

Very soon she will be retired and the Hemi going in. 

Oh okay really?

Old hemi or modern, if old going front style mounts?

I almost did an LA 318/A904 swap, still wonder if I made a mistake not going that route yet....LOL

7 blade fan too much? Too much what noise or resistance, I also have a 6 blade fan and have wondered if I should toss it...

I have a 230 industrial from a fork lift in my truck. It runs fine. I swapped the necessary parts over, and I've had no issues. My truck has plenty of power, but I don't have anything similar to compare it with. 

What is the metal tang/spring clip for in the valve area over the oil return hole for? I've seen some engines with it and some without it. 

1 minute ago, 52b3b Joe said:

I have a 230 industrial from a fork lift in my truck. It runs fine. I swapped the necessary parts over, and I've had no issues. My truck has plenty of power, but I don't have anything similar to compare it with. 

What is the metal tang/spring clip for in the valve area over the oil return hole for? I've seen some engines with it and some without it. 

Like a baffle, so oil is not sucked in fast?

2 hours ago, 52b3b Joe said:

some of the industrial engines are cammed for lower rpm and max torque. I have no idea which engines would get what.

Some are also supposed to be low compression, but they all are for the most part.

What kind of take off acceleration do you have and what type of highway speed are you cruising at?

Can you keep up with in town modern day traffic?

4 hours ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Oh okay really?

Old hemi or modern, if old going front style mounts?

I almost did an LA 318/A904 swap, still wonder if I made a mistake not going that route yet....LOL

7 blade fan too much? Too much what noise or resistance, I also have a 6 blade fan and have wondered if I should toss it...

I am dropping in a 325 Hemi as soon as I finish the build up. Should be a front style mount and bolt right in. I have some pics in my build thread.

As for the fan, it was just ridiculously loud while cruising. I don’t have any cooling issues, so the temp didn’t change when pulling it off.

1 hour ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

some of the industrial engines are cammed for lower rpm and max torque. I have no idea which engines would get what.

Some are also supposed to be low compression, but they all are for the most part.

What kind of take off acceleration do you have and what type of highway speed are you cruising at?

Can you keep up with in town modern day traffic?

I have a 3.54 rear end and I can cruise pretty much speed I want to. I like 55-60 though. Acceleration is pretty good I think, but I'm definitely not going to win any drag races lol. I have no issues keeping up with traffic. It also has no lack of power with towing either. It has more mid range power than it does in the lower end. Here is a video of the acceleration: 

13 minutes ago, 52b3b Joe said:

I have a 3.54 rear end and I can cruise pretty much speed I want to. I like 55-60 though. Acceleration is pretty good I think, but I'm definitely not going to win any drag races lol. I have no issues keeping up with traffic. It also has no lack of power with towing either. It has more mid range power than it does in the lower end. Here is a video of the acceleration: 

Thats not bad at all, think its better than my 228 with dual carbs and exhaust, its a tired engine, and I got 3.23 gears.

I hope to have my 265 in next year, should do a whole lot better than the 228.

Nice set-up yall got there...

And here is the biggest perplexing circumstance that I cannot explain why or what is the cause.

When I was redoing y duals exhausts mufflers, fund with straight pipes or especially 1 muffler on and 1 off.

The result is the engine would spin

Check this out at 16 seconds, spinning 4500 RPM with a stock engine and cam, dual carbs and exhaust though.

I will attach a screen shot too

Screenshot (135).png

19 hours ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

My Old slug from a dead stop to 60 mph.. 3.23 gears, 228 old and tired and dual/duals.

Seems pretty decent, I would be happy with that.

I have a 250 industrial that was on a water pump, I just have to find a Fargo to put it in, Any early 40's out around you in Manitoba?

Tim Kingsbury told me that there were over 80 different cam profiles for the flatheads, some of which were used in industrial units.  That way, Chrysler could tailor the performance of the engine to the application.  Applications included cars and trucks of all sizes, stationery pumps, compressors, tugs, welders, generators and probably numerous other applications.  Some folks have posted on other sites that in some applications, the engine would run at high rpm's continuously.  So it's hard to say what to expect if transplanting an industrial engine into an automotive or truck application.

I might question 80 different cam profiles for any one engine from a single manufacturer....I'm not thinking that even am sbc would have that.....8 might be more realistic but that is not the subject at hand.

There are still plenty of the 25" units so it is good to see them being used.

• Like 1