Draft tube

LazyK

23 minutes ago, JOHN EDGE said:

Yes

Really? This is the crankcase ventilation outlet and if directly lead back  into the oil pan the ventilation would no work !? The tube on my motor is a bit longer btw,  but leads to the environment, too. There is no connecting piece for a hose at the pan. 

Just my thoughts...

Curious if there exists a solution that leads separated oil back to the pan. 

3 minutes ago, PT81Jan said:

Really? This is the crankcase ventilation outlet and if directly lead back  into the oil pan the ventilation would no work !? The tube on my motor is a bit longer btw,  but leads to the environment, too. There is no connecting piece for a hose at the pan. 

Just my thoughts...

Curious if there exists a solution that leads separated oil back to the pan. 

There is supposed to be a tube attached at that point that extends low enough to get into the airflow under the vehicle. The airflow across the opening of the tube creates a partial vacuum (Venturi effect). That vacuum pulls air, cleaned by the oiled wire mesh in the oil filler cap, through the crankcase to remove any combustion byproducts that get into the crankcase.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, TodFitch said:

There is supposed to be a tube attached at that point that extends low enough to get into the airflow under the vehicle. The airflow across the opening of the tube creates a partial vacuum (Venturi effect). That vacuum pulls air, cleaned by the oiled wire mesh in the oil filler cap, through the crankcase to remove any combustion byproducts that get into the crankcase.

Thank you for that perfect description - made me aware that I was misinterpreting the original question... below the oil pan,  not into the oil pan.  Sorry

you have the optional filter unit instead of the long by-pass tybe. if you loosen the bolt then there is a filter element that has wire mess and this is you downtube filter assembly. These were an optional equipment.  So this is factory equipment.

rich HArtung

desoto939@aol.com,

5 hours ago, pflaming said:

Don't some route the  oil fumes into the manifold with a pcv valve? 

It is my understanding that a couple of high priced makes used a PCV setup as early as the late 1920s. And I think military vehicles went with it in the 1940s for the side effect of removing a place where water could get in the engine when fording rivers.

But Detroit decided it was better to save a couple of pennies and stuck with a draft tube ventilation system. They didn't care that they could make an engine last longer by better ventilation of the crankcase. Maybe that was a feature for them instead of a bug as the sooner your engine wore out the sooner you'd buy a new car.

In any event, they stuck with the draft tube until air pollution laws came into force. Apparently the largest source of pollution causing hydrocarbons that escape a totally uncontrolled engine are from the draft tube. In addition to the original purpose of the PCV setup of keeping your engine cleaner and lasting longer, it turns out to be a good first step on reducing vehicle related air pollution.

However, for a long time people then associated PCV setups with evil government air pollution controls and wanted to remove them. I knew of at least one fellow who insisted on removing the PCV setup on his 1980s car. Instead of putting a draft tube on the car he just plugged it up. Then he wondered why his crank seals kept leaking (from crankcase pressurization from ring blow by).

22 minutes ago, pflaming said:

I'm going to add this to my engine, sure would like to see some pictures of what some have done. TKS guys for the responses. 

I'm watching this, also.  I would like to remove the draft tube and somehow recycle the crankcase fumes out the exhaust pipe.  Any suggestions.  I don't have a threaded fitting on the intake manifold.   

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the 50's, Dad would shorten and connect the draft tubes into the air cleaner on all of our vehicles and most of the customers trucks to help with emissions and mileage.

Plus, when they could get an extra 1/2-1 MPG more on their Gas trucks, Basically for Free, they ended up doing a Lot of them.

Just My 2cents.