Steering wheel removal tips please

Use a bearing splitter and a 2 jaw puller.

Steering Wheel Splitter Posi-Lok Puller (9).JPG

Steering Wheel Splitter Posi-Lok Puller (5).JPG

4 hours ago, 52 work truck said:

there is a specific steering wheel puller made for these wheels hard to find but they work great.the "grip" swings down and fits the taper of the wheel

That would be this one.. the factory # 232 miller tool. Good luck finding one.

There is also a leather ring used with it to protect the wheel.I have not shown that.

Steering Wheel Miller 232 Puller (2).JPG

4 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

Wheel puller is the only real way.  I made my own out of wood and ready rod.

When I try to update my Profile IE stops working, ?  Did my cooling explanation (Defiantly wrong, Thanks Don) Shut me out ?

Please Call me. O My 1952 Fifth wheel is a 5.3125 Stroke + 413. Charlie Stephenson  No wonder it drives so strong.

5 hours ago, Charlie Stephenson said:

When I try to update my Profile IE stops working, ?  Did my cooling explanation (Defiantly wrong, Thanks Don) Shut me out ?

Lol doubt it.  Try using Chrome... I haven't used IE in years.

22 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

I haven't used some things in YEARS either lol  no don't lol it ain't funny no more.

22 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

My B 4 Y X is a 5.3125 stroke "yea" & and I'm purchasing a 281/282 this week.  I have all five molly blocks now. Including a crate 377. Charlie Stephenson  I'll get back to the form as soon as the dirty sock taste goes away in my mouth regarding my COOLING SYSTEM EXPLANATION, Again Thanks Don for causing me to read what I write before I post.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:13 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

Use a bearing splitter and a 2 jaw puller.

Steering Wheel Splitter Posi-Lok Puller (9).JPG

Steering Wheel Splitter Posi-Lok Puller (5).JPG

If I ever find a puller like the one pictured, rest assured there will be at least two of us who have one of these, wow.  I think it may crush the ("bakelite" or what ever they covered the steering wheels with back in the day) cone on the floor side of your wheel the contour and a leather cushion sounds "Engineered To Me". Charlie Stephenson. Please if I'm Incorrect on the covering of steering wheels, tell me.

The above set up works well as the bearing splitter pulls only against the lower steering wheel steel hub.... not the soft wheel material.

You can just barely see the steel tube the splitter tool pulls against.

This setup will remove wheels that are so tight my other Miller and other brand steering wheel pullers cannot remove.

As for the factory authorised  MoPar dealer Miller # 232 steering wheel puller tool.... it does come with a leather cushion ring to try to prevent damage to the softer bakelite? wheel material as it does pull hard against the soft wheel material.

Some pic's of other pullers used...and the Miller 232 with the protector leather.

Steering Wheel Removal B3YA (2) (Large).JPG

Steering wheel Puller Miller 232 (2).JPG

Steering puller.jpg

Steering wheel Puller Miller 232.JPG

Puller  Old Style Steering Wheel.JPG

I used a bearing splitter and a 3 fork puller.  After about a 1/16 of a turn of the puller, the wheel popped off.  Sixty dollars for the splitter and puller for a half second job.  Any one know of a decently priced vendor that will refurbish the wheel

Edited by WarriorDog