Ad Messing Up Format

Bingster

I’ve haven’t been on this site for quite some time, and when I entered it this evening (F 13Oct2017 9p), I must confess that I wasn’t enchanted with the changes—it requested information as to my location, car(s), hobbies, all items that I’ll disclose only if I feel like it (I didn’t/don’t . . .), and to those I wish to share that information with. To make it mandatory is, well, intrusive. My opinion, and like several parts of the human anatomy, everybody has one . . . . . .

Another issue for me to b!$(# about—the ad on the right side of the screen is a major annoyance!!! And, I tried the maneuver suggested by the site’s webmaster—it didn’t work. I acknowledge that advertisements underwrite the expenses of a site such as this, and as such—are a necessary evil. However, the ads on the version in use the last time I was on this site were at the top, and I don’t remember them being in the conversation pages, so they weren’t as obnoxious as the current setup. Again, my opinion, and like several parts of the human anatomy, everybody’s got one . . . . . .

Edited by DrDoctor

It's just providing additional info for you public profile. It is very helpful for others addressing your question as they can see what project your working on and if anyone is near you to help. If you don't want to disclose the info just put in N/A.

32 minutes ago, DrDoctor said:

And, I tried the maneuver suggested by the site’s webmaster—it didn’t work. 

What browser are you using? Win/Mac, IE, Firefox, Chrome Safari

The ad placement has been the same for at least three years if not longer. 

I've noticed the add on the right side, near the top too. I only notice it on my iPad (Safari). I don't notice it on my computers with Firefox. But on the iPad I can zoom in and refit the page so it's not that big of a deal... to me anyway.

Here's a screenshot

IMG_0236.PNG

Edited by Merle Coggins

I don't see any ad on the right side of my screen!  ??  

You might try control + to see if you can get rid of it. 

I also got the mandatory info page and tried to get off of it, and wasn't thrilled in having to make up things to get rid of it.  I really didn't have any answers for the questions, and certainly none that would help anybody else or even that I choose anybody to know about me. Dump it.

I just checked it with IE 11.0 and works correctly.  Edge is problematic for a lot of web sites as the current versions don't seem to correctly support a lot of the newer technologies being used.  Try Firefox or Chrome, both are generally faster than the Microsoft products and support all the features of this site. It is also possible your Windows machine has an issue like a virus, or ad blocker that is causing the abnormal behavior. 

I'm not too happy either.... WIN10 W/Chrome.

The page is growing larger with ads and smaller P15-D24 real estate.

Format P15-D24.PNG

16 hours ago, busycoupe said:

This ad placement just began about a month ago, not three years ago.  

The right hand ads are called "Skyscraper" ads and have been on the advertising rate card from the first day we added advertising. Again, nothing has changed with ad placements. 

5 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I'm not too happy either.... WIN10 W/Chrome.

The page is growing larger with ads and smaller P15-D24 real estate.

And if you make the  window smaller the ad will first be partially obscured. Make it smaller it  moves to the bottom of the thread. 

Yes I see that now. I guess I have to make the window larger. One more thing to do and remember in my older age.