Everybody in California OK??

greg g

Thanks Greg.  We are just a couple of miles from two fires that started because of downed power lines.  It was crazy windy here last night. My daughter and son in law are here now because they were evacuated from where they live.  Things are normalizing now.

Glad to hear Reg as I saw that the fires were not far from your place. Word has made it all the way here to Oz about the terrible fires over there in CA. Hope that all of our forum brother's and families are well, and hopefully the end is near to this tragedy.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

On 10/9/2017 at 3:36 PM, greg g said:

Hope everybody is safe from the fires. 

Wow! A little over a year later and I echo this again.

Tonight the news reported 600 people unaccounted for. Fire so hot it just incinerated things. Very serious. Very sad.  We stoped the logging, animal grazing for environmental reasons. Terrible! 

To clean out the thistles in our pasture fences, we would wait for a near west wind. When we set fire to the farmost west end, that fire of thistles would travel down that fence row so fast we could not run fast enough to keep up with it. It burned so hot, so fast, and so short a time that all thistles vanished yet the barbed wires would not get hot! Most of our fences were half to a mile in length. Life was different back then. 

Edited by pflaming

3 hours ago, pflaming said:

Tonight the news reported 600 people unaccounted for. Fire so hot it just incinerated things. Very serious. Very sad.  We stoped the logging, animal grazing for environmental reasons. Terrible! 

To clean out the thistles in our pasture fences, we would wait for a near west wind. When we set fire to the farmost west end, that fire of thistles would travel down that fence row so fast we could not run fast enough to keep up with it. It burned so hot, so fast, and so short a time that all thistles vanished yet the barbed wires would not get hot! Most of our fences were half to a mile in length. Life was different back then. 

I remember once helping my grandpa burn off one of the pastures (NE Oklahoma), and although he had a wide fire block area plowed, it jumped into the fence row, and suddenly there was this wall of flames that came roaring up around the side.  We barely stopped it from taking down the milk barn.

On 11/15/2018 at 6:55 PM, laynrubber said:

I see pictures and I notice several with burnt hulks of various vintage rides.

One fellow I know moved to Paradise from the greater SF Bay area maybe 5 or so years ago. He had a '37 Plymouth and a bunch of A body slant 6 vehicles at the time he moved. Not sure what he had when the fire started but I've learned that everything he had burned. Both he and his wife were able to get out safely though which was the important thing.