Vacuum wiper conversion??

Randy Curran

I bought an original 47 Chrysler electric setup on ebay and switched my vaccum out for the electric.  Fit perfectly.  I posted one on ebay a couple of weeks ago in the Ebay/CL forum here.  I think it was only $90 or so.

Sometimes taking it off & squirting a little oil in the vacuum port & oiling

all the moving parts will get 'em going again. Just did mine & it helped

somewhat. The vacuum booster can Frank suggested is also a good

plan. Good luck.

My vacuum motor sucked as well. Tried the oil in the vacuum line, got a little better. Then found this site http://www.wiperman.com/ . Sent my motor off and got it back a couple weeks later working like a champ. Still going up hills will stall the wipers but I live with it.

Joe Lee

8 hours ago, Randy Curran said:

I have the motor but I don't know how to hook it up?  As in to switch it on and off.  Where do I hook the vacuum up on the engine?  I have a SBC (it was free!).

On the intake manifold, the port from the SBC that would have went to a power brake booster is 1....

42 minutes ago, Randy Curran said:

Can I tap into that port?  I have power brakes.  And how do I hook it up to the dash to turn it on and off?

Well does your "vacuum wiper" not have a on- off- park-position switch attached to it?

You can take manifold vacuum form the intake somewhere.

Pictures of what you have might be helpful.

The on/off knob should be top center on the dash. It's basically an L shaped lever that engages a fork shaped actuator on top of the wiper motor. Here's one for sale on eBay. The actuator is the part with the two small pieces of rubber hose on it. It's on top in the third pic. The lever from the top of the dash merely moves it from one position to another, on or off. The V shaped lever is where the arms that lead to the wiper transmissions attach. A vacuum line connected from the wiper motor to any constant engine vacuum source will operate the motor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRICO-Wiper-Motor-SK-51-5-Desota-1940-1941-1942-1946-1947-1948-Dodge-Plymouth-/272861056861?hash=item3f87c94f5d:g:b7gAAOSwD5ZZyBRU&vxp=mtr

I posted a reply to an earlier wiper question which you may find helpful..to avoid cost of electric wiper conversion kits get a rear wiper motor from an s-10 blazer...cost $12.00 at local pickapart...it is a back and for the motor with about the same sweep as you need...a trip to hardware store for some bracket material and some creative fabrication and your all set...12 volt and only one speed...mount your switch wherever you want..

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Here is electric wiper conversion on my 40 Dodge D14.  I had posted previously that a rear wiper motor from a Chevy s-10 worked well in my 55 Ford...this motor is a better fit for my Dodge..it is a 02 Mitsubishi Montero. Same cost...$20 for the motor at pick ur part..about $10 at hardware store...choose whatever switch you like...it is only on or off ... stock linkage and arms...sweep can be changed by shortening or lengthening the  wiper motor arm

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 10/9/2017 at 11:53 AM, YukonJack said:

I converted my 47 Plymouth to electric wipers. I got the kit from Newport Engineering. Easy to install but it won't clear the stock radio.

It looks like they have a new electric wipers to fit around the the stock radio.

wipers.PNG