New 1950 dodge Truck to me

Go to solution Solved by Plymouthy Adams,

34 minutes ago, 5027 steve said:

I'm trying to follow this ,you are saying the rims are rivited to the hubs from the factory???? Wow what were they thinking?????

Yeah, that's just the way they did it back in the day. It allowed new rims to to be riveted to the old centers. back in the day people liked to repair everything rather than just discard a good part. Hence rebuild kits for the water pump. No one today would think of rebuilding a water pump when it so much easier to get a new or re-manufactured one. Builders and remanufactrers can get the parts but they are not available on the consumer market for othere than antique or classic vehicles.

Edited by johnsartain

You got it! I can send a pic when I get home but that a few hours away. Not 2 piece rims but more the center is riveted to the outer rim. The term "2 piece rim" i believe refers to the larger truck tires that have a detachable outer rim that is removed to facilitate removal of a heavy truck tire from the rim. 

Edited by johnsartain

1 hour ago, johnsartain said:

It's totally possible that the paint or powder coat is thick enough and has them sealed, eventually they will leak and the rivets will be to blame. It may only be a slow leak but a leak none the less.

Could be but I've got 16 years on the first set and I think 12 on the second and both are good so far. 

Kinda a lousy picture, you get the idea. I have same rims as you, they are off of a 60's - 70's dodge truck  (I think) but they are 15"  and 5.5" wide. They are a perfect size for a standard width radial tire. I have a chrome beauty ring on them and need to find the 9" dog dish hubcaps for center to complete them. But it is a look that I am going out of my way to create. Has been around Hot Rods forever and I think it is a good look for custom wheels. Not to flashy but not to drab either, cheap and easy to take care of.

Just saying that I like your wheels, and is what I am going to run.  Think I need to get them out of the living room first though  :rolleyes:

I will toss in a photo of my old parts truck, it has stock 16" rims on it, 4.5" wide, You can see how center is different from what you have.

I am going to clean them up and keep them close by. But for daily driver, what you already have is great.

IMG_20171019_092009070.jpg

a 105.jpg

8 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Kinda a lousy picture, you get the idea. I have same rims as you, they are off of a 60's - 70's dodge truck  (I think) but they are 15"  and 5.5" wide. They are a perfect size for a standard width radial tire. I have a chrome beauty ring on them and need to find the 9" dog dish hubcaps for center to complete them. But it is a look that I am going out of my way to create. Has been around Hot Rods forever and I think it is a good look for custom wheels. Not to flashy but not to drab either, cheap and easy to take care of.

Just saying that I like your wheels, and is what I am going to run.  Think I need to get them out of the living room first though  :rolleyes:

I will toss in a photo of my old parts truck, it has stock 16" rims on it, 4.5" wide, You can see how center is different from what you have.

I am going to clean them up and keep them close by. But for daily driver, what you already have is great.

IMG_20171019_092009070.jpg

a 105.jpg

Thanks for the info ...

Flashlight holder-my dad had one in his work truck.

DJ

Can someone post a pic of the floorboard by the pedals please that has a finished cab/floor......does each pedal get a boot on it ???? Or does something cover all three to seal them from the elements....Thanks Steve

Edited by 5027 steve

There is a rubber piece that DCM Classics sells that seals out the draft. Their part number is DA-140. It fits underneath the floorboard and only seals when the pedal is in the up position. In order to install them they have to be cut and placed on the pedal and then glued back together with weatherstrip adhesive. I haven't really seen anything else. Others may know of something better.

Just now, johnsartain said:

There is a rubber piece that DCM Classics sells that seals out the draft. Their part number is DA-140. It fits underneath the floorboard and only seals when the pedal is in the up position. In order to install them they have to be cut and placed on the pedal and then glued back together with weatherstrip adhesive. I haven't really seen anything else. Others may know of something better.

I will look into that thanks

57 minutes ago, David A. said:

I heated mine up in very hot water, then used liquid dish soap and slid them over the pedals. Very tight fit, but it worked!

I tried that once and they split. Maybe not hot enough, or not enough soap. I got another set to try again, but haven't had the ambition to try it again.

10 hours ago, David A. said:

I heated mine up in very hot water, then used liquid dish soap and slid them over the pedals. Very tight fit, but it worked!

VERY HOT SOAPY water and MORE patience and you can do it.  Watch for any sharp burrs.

Ok I just was in the shop checking the truck out trying to grasp how the cab is bolted to the frame......the shop manual is not a great help in location of the cab to frame bolts ,anyone want to explain please,the guy before me fabricated new floors and I think he covered up the front two bolts???? I see what looks like plugs behind the seat is that where the rear ones are???? Thanks