New 1950 dodge Truck to me

Go to solution Solved by Plymouthy Adams,

• 2 months later...
On 7/3/2018 at 6:53 AM, squirebill said:

Did you ever get the broken studs out?  You mention them being in the "head" but I'm guessing you mean the "block".  Anyhow, I looked up the manifold studs in my P17,P18 Plymouth car Parts list.  In their description in parenthesis they say "(heat treated cold drawn steel....)".  They have two listed with the same code number as in your parts list but each one has its own part number.   P/N 623 369  is  1 15/16 long, quantity is 4 and P/N 51 561 is 1 11/16 long, quantity is 7.   Like in your Parts List no description or picture of where the different lengths are to be placed.  Anyhow,  knowing  to heat treat steel you heat it up to a certain temperature and then quickly cool it (quench it) and also to soften it again you heat it up and let it completely cool slowly (anneal it);  maybe if you heat the broken stud as hot as you can and then let it cool you may be able to anneal it so you can drill it out.  Just a thought.   

Yes Thanks...it wasn't fun but done and ready to install new manifold

I'm not recalling if when I removed the rear shocks that washers we're installed on each side of the eyelets (cupped) washers..I purchased new shocks (Napa) and they didn't have new washers with the shocks...Does the nut just go on without washers ??? If so what holds the shock from coming off the stud because the nuts are relatively small... Thanks Steve

• Solution

washers are needed if stud mounted.....the inner washer hole is the diameter of the shock eye...the outer washer hole is the diameter of the retaining shoulder....being cupped washer with the above hole profile allow full clamping force of the nut and yet does not over clamp and distort the grommet on the shock...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

shock washers that are cupped as original are avail. many places, just one example after a web search for cupped shock absorber washers--

shock washers.html

• Thanks 1

OK I'm so embarrassed to ask this so far into my project I'm a (dumb ass) .....1950 B1B..... Is my front axle bent ?????? Before I took this truck apart and started working on it ,I drove it and it went straight down the road .....I just caught this today......I'm very made at myself for missing this ....NOW WHAT????

IMG_20180920_152335416-2000x1500.jpg

IMG_20180920_152208945-1500x2000.jpg

Ok when I got the truck the bed was in parts ...I know where the three longer cross bars go in the bed but I have this one shorter one...does it go all the way back on the frame rails???? In the last holes by end of the frames??? There is no holes in it other than for the main bolts that go thru the frame to hold the bed down ....Thanks Steve

IMG_20180921_082029142-1500x2000.jpg

32 minutes ago, 5027 steve said:

Ok when I got the truck the bed was in parts ...I know where the three longer cross bars go in the bed but I have this one shorter one...does it go all the way back on the frame rails???? In the last holes by end of the frames??? There is no holes in it other than for the main bolts that go thru the frame to hold the bed down ....Thanks Steve

IMG_20180921_082029142-1500x2000.jpg

Yes, it is the last one next to the tailgate.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:08 PM, 5027 steve said:

So its not bent ???? WHEW 

Oh cr@p, you mean I straightened mine out for nothing???

…...Just Joking

• Haha 1