New 1950 dodge Truck to me

Go to solution Solved by Plymouthy Adams,

12 hours ago, 5027 steve said:

Really stupid question after I looked at my intake.....better question How do I delete a post?????

request it  :P

First and foremost I have to introduce my sidekick and truck mechanic my grandson Braxton ....He is by my side in the garage every weekend helping "Papa" rebuild and restore Braxton truck "Lucy" Braxton says thumbs up to all of you helping "US" with my sometimes silly questions...

20180203_104735-1195x2124.jpg

• Like 6

Now into our questions for the weekend:::: OK we tried to remove the driver side rear hub using a 3 jaw puller and then a slide hammer and it will not move at all .......I think I have bearings seized to the axle ....Now What?????? I'm at a loss........Thanks

Looks to be a newer tanks made by "tanks inc."

See attached from their website tanks says their fuel level sender is a 5 bolt setup, so that is most answer. :)

5 Bolt Fuel Sending Unit.htm

• Like 1

So many questions Steve :D Keep 'em coming!

Q1. The puller is your best chance with the rear hub. Some of them do get stuck on there hard. I haven't found one yet that my puller and a hammer couldn't remove. I'm thinking that you would have backed off the brakes with the adjuster nuts on the back of the backing plates. Try tapping the drum with the hammer some... but not too hard that you will distort or damage the drum! If that doesn't work... maybe a little heat or a more heavy duty drum puller.

Q2. 80-90 compression is alright. A new engine will push out closer to 120. Your readings are consistent between each cylinder so I reckon that should work fine.

Q3. Your gas tank looks like one from Tanks Inc. I can't help you with which hole the sender goes in sorry as I have not bought one of their tanks (I'm in Oz and the freight to me would be ridiculous). Here's their link... http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=349/category_id=68/mode=prod/prd349.htm 

Edited by Desotodav
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Desotodav said:

So many questions Steve :D Keep 'em coming!

Q1. The puller is your best chance with the rear hub. Some of them do get stuck on there hard. I haven't found one yet that my puller and a hammer couldn't remove. I'm thinking that you would have backed off the brakes with the adjuster nuts on the back of the backing plates. Try tapping the drum with the hammer some... but not too hard that you will distort or damage the drum! If that doesn't work... maybe a little heat or a more heavy duty drum puller.

Q2. 80-90 compression is alright. A new engine will push out closer to 120. Your readings are consistent between each cylinder so I reckon that should work fine.

Q3. Your gas tank looks like one from Tanks Inc. I can't help you with which hold is the sender sorry as I have not bought one of their tanks (I'm in Oz and the freight to me would be ridiculous). Here's their link... http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=349/category_id=68/mode=prod/prd349.htm 

Hubs are separate from drum...someone along the line removed the rivots.  They are now bolted together so we are just dealing with the hubs...Thanks

Removing the hub without the drum should be easier. The axle is tapered with a square locator key preventing the hub from turning on the axle. Maybe a little heat and a harder pull?

I'm not sure what your link issue is all about. Try a Google search on 'Tanks Inc' and go to their 'fuel tanks' section. Your truck will be listed as a '39-47 Dodge truck tank'.

Rear left drum.JPG

35 minutes ago, 5027 steve said:

Now into our questions for the weekend:::: OK we tried to remove the driver side rear hub using a 3 jaw puller and then a slide hammer and it will not move at all .......I think I have bearings seized to the axle ....Now What?????? I'm at a loss........Thanks

You need the proper hub puller. NOT a 3 jaw puller. The proper puller attaches to the lugs. A 3 jaw can/will ruin your brake drum. The drum to axle connection is on a tapered shaft. These can become rather attached to each other. 

24 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

You need the proper hub puller. NOT a 3 jaw puller. The proper puller attaches to the lugs. A 3 jaw can/will ruin your brake drum. The drum to axle connection is on a tapered shaft. These can become rather attached to each other. 

Thanks Merle I have a slide hammer puller that attached to the lugs ...I sprayed the axle the best I could with pb blaster gonna let it sit for a day and try again .....

I wonder about this myself, remove the nut and the yoke slides off with no puller on mine. Just need to replace seal and re-torque, but it seems to good to be true.

Newer rigs have a crush sleeve in them and a one time torque ...

Need to pull the pinion to replace it, then the inner bearing and seal and basically into it for a full rebuild.

So, can we simply replace the outer seal?

1 hour ago, 5027 steve said:

Also whenever someone posts a link dust all thank you ....BUT when I click on them it never connects me but goes to a blank screen .....Thanks

Just copy and paste any links into your URL and you should be fine. You may have security settings that are not allowing access within the posts.

Thanks Merle I have a slide hammer puller that attached to the lugs ...I sprayed the axle the best I could with pb blaster gonna let it sit for a day and try again .....

A slide hammer puller isn’t going to get it done. You need one of these...

6E1703DC-438A-4C2F-8C92-82BDAAFD5C8A.jpeg.b770aa8ecc7138fe229a0f7902155231.jpeg

• Like 2

I also used to get a email notification when someone relplied here but don't anymore?????

You need to go to the top of the thread across from the title and click on the grey rectangle that says follow.

The image that Merle posted is like yours except it's designed to be hit with hand sledge. Note the leverage of the targets for the hammer. The hub will "pop" when it gets free from the axle. The one you have isn't beefy enough for that. When you physically have one in your grip...you notice the difference. I see them at the swap meets once in awhile...

48D

When you mentioned a "3 jaw puller" I was picturing one of these...

648721.jpg

What you have IS similar to what I posted earlier, but as Tim said, the other ones are a bit beefier, and with the slugger wrench on the end you can gain a lot of leverage with a decent size hammer. It is often recommended to leave the nut on the end, loose, to keep things from flying when it pops loose.