New 1950 dodge Truck to me

Go to solution Solved by Plymouthy Adams,

11 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

If you’re nice to Mark (ggdad1951) he may stamp the flat spot, and hole, in the center bar for mounting a mirror. It makes it easier to mount than to work on the rounded surface.

Or I may even have a spare one laying around that is already stamped. Somehow I ended up with an extra one, but I’d have to find where I stashed it. 

$12 + shipping gets you a stock location and look for an inside mirror.  pictures here:

http://p15-d24.com/topic/26461-ggdad1951-truck-project-montage-fef/?do=findComment&comment=317421

9 minutes ago, ggdad1951 said:

$12 + shipping gets you a stock location and look for an inside mirror.  pictures here:

http://p15-d24.com/topic/26461-ggdad1951-truck-project-montage-fef/?do=findComment&comment=317421

So I send you mine and u do what I need???? Thanks Steve .....P.M. Me your address

3 minutes ago, 5027 steve said:

So I send you mine and u do what I need???? Thanks Steve .....P.M. Me your address

yep, I just don't drill the hole since I don't know what size hole you'll need.  PM on the way.

BTW you'll love having that mirror.  SO much easier driving with one.

So I've goggled and goggled some more and still can't find a pic of the rear tailight mounting ,wether it's the sheet metal mount or the cast iron ...could someone post a pic here I prefer to see the cast iron mounts but would also like to see the sheet metal mounts I have to get these on order from DMC..and have To decide which way to go...Thanks Steve

1 hour ago, ggdad1951 said:

I have tried the search function several times and came up dead ...also tried Google ....thanks for the pics but those are welded on ......did they originally bolt to the tailgate bolts????? I have no holes what so ever on my truck where they would screw to.....steve

1 hour ago, 5027 steve said:

I have tried the search function several times and came up dead ...also tried Google ....thanks for the pics but those are welded on ......did they originally bolt to the tailgate bolts????? I have no holes what so ever on my truck where they would screw to.....steve

You need to review all the posts in the threads that are relevant to you, not just the one it puts you at, go up and down and explore.  Lots of good info in there.  The second thread has pics of my truck where it is bolted on the front side of the stack pocket near the bottom which was stock.  

The search function is a bit tricky but all I did was search the flathead forum for "tail light" and these were in the mix and had to weed thru all the results to find what I wanted.  Take some time to practice searches and it will pay off.  Start with something you know you will find, like this thread, and see if you can find it in a search.  Using the advanced function can also help.

On 1/22/2018 at 6:00 PM, 5027 steve said:

So guys is there a specific size..or number or model of the light sockets for the Speedo and such on the back of the panels .....mine are all fried.  Thanks

I have had good luck finding them at the local auto parts stores . 

The label with the cars on it tells you all you need to know.  This oil is perfect to use in your flathead. The question is, what type oil were they running in the truck. I would think it was detergent oil. If so your good to go. If they were using non-detergent oil, be aware that by using this oil, it’s going to release all the gunk stuck in the motor and you will have all kinds of problems. 

11 minutes ago, Dozerman51 said:

The label with the cars on it tells you all you need to know.  This oil is perfect to use in your flathead. The question is, what type oil were they running in the truck. I would think it was detergent oil. If so your good to go. If they were using non-detergent oil, be aware that by using this oil, it’s going to release all the gunk stuck in the motor and you will have all kinds of problems. 

Yea like most of us I have no idea what the previous owner did ...from the things I see that he did I would not even ask him....scotch locks..burnt wires...etc so I'll just have to watch it after we change it....Thanks

The slant six was designed to replace the flathead six in 1960......I doubt there are any exchangeable parts...

But I don't know this for sure. The exhaust/intake are perpendicular to the ground....so that's a start.

The Slant Six has more in common with the fabled 64-71 Street Hemi (the 4 mains bearings are of the same design) which gave it long and successful life in the

public arena as well as the industrial one. 

The Slant Six exhaust has 6 separate rails, the L6 Flatie basically  has two Siamese ports in the middle, thou they can be separated with headers.  

The Slant Six intake has a single siamese port in the middle, the L6 flatie has three ports for six cylinders.

Hot Rodders can be crafty....never know what you might find out there.

48D

On 1/28/2018 at 7:17 PM, 5027 steve said:

Ok this might be a silly question but will a offenhauser intake off a 225 slant 6 bolt up to our 218 flathead?????? Thanks

Really stupid question after I looked at my intake.....better question How do I delete a post?????