New 1950 dodge Truck to me

Go to solution Solved by Plymouthy Adams,

here ya go, sorry I got distracted last night.  The shorter screw is for the center division bar. Please note the heads are small (I think OVAL type)...for some reason I seem to remember they were smaller than standard...but for your viewing pleasure:

20180110_062132.jpg

20180110_062219.jpg

20180110_062203.jpg

12 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

here ya go, sorry I got distracted last night.  The shorter screw is for the center division bar. Please note the heads are small (I think OVAL type)...for some reason I seem to remember they were smaller than standard...but for your viewing pleasure:

20180110_062132.jpg

20180110_062219.jpg

20180110_062203.jpg

THANKS very much

You need to save them, don't know where you are getting cable that have new ones.  I have yet to see a repop of the cables that work correctly for the knobs.  You can buy a tool to remove them (less mark up on them) from Ebay.  OR you can CAREFULLY put a pliers on the outside diameter and remove them.  They are right hand thread.

1 hour ago, 5027 steve said:

Ok buckaroo's on to the next puzzeling question: I got a new water pump at my local Napa...and it came with one bolt???? I'm kinda confused as to why one bolt came with it......Thanks

I believe it's a more generic water pump to fit more models of flatheads and if you compare to your old one you will find it thicker at 1 of the 3 bolt holes. So they give you 1 longer bolt. 

3 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

I believe it's a more generic water pump to fit more models of flatheads and if you compare to your old one you will find it thicker at 1 of the 3 bolt holes. So they give you 1 longer bolt. 

Thanks Ed ...I will check it out ....that makes sense..... Outstanding

Ok ...checked my shop manual first before I ask more questions....I'm learning.....but cannot find anything about our intake/exhaust manifolds....am I correct from what I see that they both get removed at the same time.....I would like to repair the intake heat damper but at a loss how to remove just the exhaust manifold...school me men....Thanks

21 minutes ago, 5027 steve said:

Ok ...checked my shop manual first before I ask more questions....I'm learning.....but cannot find anything about our intake/exhaust manifolds....am I correct from what I see that they both get removed at the same time.....I would like to repair the intake heat damper but at a loss how to remove just the exhaust manifold...school me men....Thanks

The manifolds are bolted together and come off as a pair There are 13 fasteners.

manifold_studs.jpg

Could someone explain this to me please......is the left pic for the front mounting and the right for the rear????  Sometimes I think I'm loosing it because some of this doesn't make any sense at all.......why is there only one rubber in the front ????? Thanks

20180116_173738-2656x1494.jpg

6 minutes ago, Reg Evans said:

Yes

So if we don't have that hole in our center glass supports the truck never had a rear view mirror and if I want to add one I simply drill a hole. And mount it.....I ordered a mirror from DCM and it came with a bracket that looks like it mounted to the top of the can above the windshield and extends down 4 or 5 in....Thanks for the help

16 minutes ago, 5027 steve said:

looks like it mounted to the top of the can above the windshield and extends down 4 or 5 in.

I have a 1949 with a 1952 parts truck, both have the mirror like you bought, both are aftermarket and could be bought at any auto parts store at the time. The one steve shows is a original mounting location. You can drill the hole and then braise the nut to the moulding on the inside, then put the mirror on after the moulding is installed. Not sure it matters.

Steve photo is of a 51 or newer truck, the dash is different then the 48-50 models. but the mirrors are the same. They cant all be as good looking as the early models  ;)

Edited by Los_Control

1 minute ago, Los_Control said:

I have a 1949 with a 1952 parts truck, both have the mirror like you bought, both are aftermarket and could be bought at any auto parts store at the time. The one steve shows is a original mounting location. You can drill the hole and then braise the nut to the moulding on the inside, then put the mirror on after the moulding is installed. Not sure it matters.

Steve photo is of a 51 or newer truck, the dash is different then the 48-50 models. They cant all be as good looking as the early models  ;)

Thanks for the explanation

43 minutes ago, 5027 steve said:

So if we don't have that hole in our center glass supports the truck never had a rear view mirror and if I want to add one I simply drill a hole. And mount it.....I ordered a mirror from DCM and it came with a bracket that looks like it mounted to the top of the can above the windshield and extends down 4 or 5 in....Thanks for the help

If you’re nice to Mark (ggdad1951) he may stamp the flat spot, and hole, in the center bar for mounting a mirror. It makes it easier to mount than to work on the rounded surface.

Or I may even have a spare one laying around that is already stamped. Somehow I ended up with an extra one, but I’d have to find where I stashed it. 

13 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

If you’re nice to Mark (ggdad1951) he may stamp the flat spot, and hole, in the center bar for mounting a mirror. It makes it easier to mount than to work on the rounded surface.

Or I may even have a spare one laying around that is already stamped. Somehow I ended up with an extra one, but I’d have to find where I stashed it. 

Wow thanks for the offer....I guess I can send that bracket back to dcm