New 1950 dodge Truck to me

Go to solution Solved by Plymouthy Adams,

compression check is pretty generic, ideally you want to see about 100 or more psi for it to run good.

These motors sit and the rings get stuck and loose compression, as well as valves not seating or stuck.

So you could probably get away with compression as low as 60 psi and it would not start easy but could run, and as it runs, the rings will loosen up and seal and same with the valves.

You might only have 3 or 4 cylinders with decent compression, and still get it started, after a couple heat cycles of warming it up and cooling off the compression could come back.

Best advice I could give you is pull the plugs and put some lite oil in the cylinders before trying to turn it over. And then turn it over by hand with the plugs out, goal here is to make sure the engine completely turns over without hitting a stuck valve.. Should be 2 revolutions. Then put in some more oil and turn it with the starter and the plugs out.

Loosen everything up and get er rotating. Then go ahead and do your compression check, hope you have more then 3 cylinders hitting over 60 psi, then try and start it.

A engine with real low compression will start easier if turning faster, use a 12 volt battery or if I was young and dumb tow it around the field in gear to pull start it.

Again, after you run it up to temp a few times allowing it to cool off and warm up, then you can test for more accurate compression/condition of engine.

I started putting atf in the cylinders 2 years ago on my truck when I first got it, last summer I turned it over with the starter and the plugs in it, I could hear the compression improving the more I turned it over. But with the plugs in it was a work out on the old starter .

48 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

compression check is pretty generic, ideally you want to see about 100 or more psi for it to run good.

These motors sit and the rings get stuck and loose compression, as well as valves not seating or stuck.

So you could probably get away with compression as low as 60 psi and it would not start easy but could run, and as it runs, the rings will loosen up and seal and same with the valves.

You might only have 3 or 4 cylinders with decent compression, and still get it started, after a couple heat cycles of warming it up and cooling off the compression could come back.

Best advice I could give you is pull the plugs and put some lite oil in the cylinders before trying to turn it over. And then turn it over by hand with the plugs out, goal here is to make sure the engine completely turns over without hitting a stuck valve.. Should be 2 revolutions. Then put in some more oil and turn it with the starter and the plugs out.

Loosen everything up and get er rotating. Then go ahead and do your compression check, hope you have more then 3 cylinders hitting over 60 psi, then try and start it.

A engine with real low compression will start easier if turning faster, use a 12 volt battery or if I was young and dumb tow it around the field in gear to pull start it.

Again, after you run it up to temp a few times allowing it to cool off and warm up, then you can test for more accurate compression/condition of engine.

36 minutes ago, lonejacklarry said:

Patience, grasshopper, patience.

Just now, Plymouthy Adams said:

compression at cranking speed per the manual is 105 lbs.....

Thank you

55 minutes ago, 5027 steve said:

Ok so water pump and thermostat housing are removed and I noticed the bolts go into the water jacket....what do I use on the threads when I reassemble them.....to seal them in the water jacket...Thanks Steve

Pipe dope thread sealant works just fine. 

Ok -so I have the original inside metal trim that goes around the winshield and it was not installed when I got the truck....

#1 - it has what appears to me to have staples around the perimeter. Of the outside edge...what are they for or from..???

#2 They appear to have slots in the bottom I would think that's for the defrost air to get thru?????

#3 -I have no screws what so ever and have no idea on size and can't find them in the parts book or shop manual..

#4 -I want to get them powder coated flat or matte black do I remove the staples first????

Thanks Steve

#1. I don't recall any staples around the perimeter of mine, but I've heard some talk of some material like wind lace between the trim and the body.

#2. Yes, the slots along the bottom edge is for defrost vents. There are slots in the dash panel at the bottom edge of the windshield too. And if you have a good heater there may be duct boots screwed to the bottom of the dash under those slots that would connect to the heater with a hose.

#3. I don't have an exact size for the screws, but they are like a Trim screw with a small bugle head. A rough guess would say they're about a #8 X 1-1/2". Maybe someone has one that they can measure, or share a picture? I'd have to try to remember to pull one out tonight to contribute that info.

#4. I would... As I said, mine didn't have any staples and I haven't put anything back there, but yours must have had something attached to it as a filler.

4 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

#1. I don't recall any staples around the perimeter of mine, but I've heard some talk of some material like wind lace between the trim and the body.

#2. Yes, the slots along the bottom edge is for defrost vents. There are slots in the dash panel at the bottom edge of the windshield too. And if you have a good heater there may be duct boots screwed to the bottom of the dash under those slots that would connect to the heater with a hose.

#3. I don't have an exact size for the screws, but they are like a Trim screw with a small bugle head. A rough guess would say they're about a #8 X 1-1/2". Maybe someone has one that they can measure, or share a picture? I'd have to try to remember to pull one out tonight to contribute that info.

#4. I would... As I said, mine didn't have any staples and I haven't put anything back there, but yours must have had something attached to it as a filler.

Thanks Merle....yea it's kinda weird seeing metal staples in metal trim..I would have like to see how they did that back in the day....the defrost boots are missing and I need to find them....Thanks again for helping...Steve

17 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

Not all the years had the material behind the trim.  I have about 7 or 8 sets of interior trims and only a few have the staples.

I have the screws at home that I've pulled I can post pics and sizes tonight.

Just now, ggdad1951 said:

Not all the years had the material behind the trim.  I have about 7 or 8 sets of interior trims and only a few have the staples.

I have the screws at home that I've pulled I can post pics and sizes tonight.

When I look it up in the parts book,i think what I see is what they call "welting"might that be what would have been staples????? Thank you

wish I cared more  :D

When I took my trim off and brought it home to prep and paint, same issues it has staples and was just a bit of the welting left. It was only about 1 foot that survived and was very brittle and crumbly and I just threw it away. Now wish I had a sample piece.

I just asked a similar question about the staples, and what material would we use to replace the original welting.

The staples are real strong steel, so you can bend them straight, pull them out and then actually manually re-install them on new material. (in my sick mind anyways)

So I was looking for the material others were using, and ask what they did with the staples?

Hot glue is looking pretty good right about now. That is, if I put any welting back in at all. Will test fit without and contemplate it.

The screws are stainless steel, 1.5" long and 3/16" round and the head is Phillips and looks flat like a wood screw.

There is also 4 rubber pieces, my best guess is they go in the track of the trim, one on each side of the defroster slit, and they block the air from going around the trim and force it out the defrost slot.

IMG_20180109_060610641.jpg

2 hours ago, Los_Control said:

wish I cared more  :D

When I took my trim off and brought it home to prep and paint, same issues it has staples and was just a bit of the welting left. It was only about 1 foot that survived and was very brittle and crumbly and I just threw it away. Now wish I had a sample piece.

I just asked a similar question about the staples, and what material would we use to replace the original welting.

The staples are real strong steel, so you can bend them straight, pull them out and then actually manually re-install them on new material. (in my sick mind anyways)

So I was looking for the material others were using, and ask what they did with the staples?

Hot glue is looking pretty good right about now. That is, if I put any welting back in at all. Will test fit without and contemplate it.

The screws are stainless steel, 1.5" long and 3/16" round and the head is Phillips and looks flat like a wood screw.

There is also 4 rubber pieces, my best guess is they go in the track of the trim, one on each side of the defroster slit, and they block the air from going around the trim and force it out the defrost slot.

IMG_20180109_060610641.jpg

I think you got it mostly right.  I've never seen stainless screws tho.  They are a somewhat "odd" screw, not too readily available as I DID replace mine with stainless.  The ones in the center division were shorter as well.  I think "Oval" head is the correct head type w/ Phillips drive.

Yes the rubber stops are for the defrost.

As for the welting , I think original was a felt type product , liklee similar to lots of the anti-squeak stuff randomly on the trucks.  Where I replaced I used a non woven polyester tape product.

9 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

I think you got it mostly right.  I've never seen stainless screws tho.  They are a somewhat "odd" screw, not too readily available as I DID replace mine with stainless.  The ones in the center division were shorter as well.  I think "Oval" head is the correct head type w/ Phillips drive.

Yes the rubber stops are for the defrost.

As for the welting , I think original was a felt type product , liklee similar to lots of the anti-squeak stuff randomly on the trucks.  Where I replaced I used a non woven polyester tape product.

A lot of the cars use what I believe is called a jackson screw. It's a #8 thread with a #6 head